Silver Star Hits Lumber Truck In Georgia

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanB

Engineer
Honored Member
An Amtrak train collided with a lumber truck at a dirt-road crossing in southeast Georgia Tuesday, killing the truck driver and critically injuring the train engineer.
The six-wheel lumber truck pulled in front of the train at 7:25 a.m. in Liberty County, east of Hinesville, said Georgia State Patrol spokesman Gordy Wright.
The full story from 1010 WINS News can be found here.

Story now updated with picture of wreck and it doesn't look good. I see a shortage of sleepers for the next few weeks if not months.

At approximately 7:25 a.m. today, Amtrak train 91, the Silver Star, en route from New York to Miami with approximately 150 passengers and 14 crewmembers derailed after striking a lumber truck at a grade crossing near Hinesville, Ga.  Initial reports indicate that there were approximately 23 injuries aboard the train, including the engineer.  The train's locomotive and all 10 cars derailed, but remained upright.  
For Amtrak's press release on the accident click here.

Still another story here.

This one however includes a link to a video of the wreck site. Just click on the little picture of the camera in the blue box titled "Amtrak Derailment" to the right of the story. Requires Windows Media Player.

If you recall, a very similar type of accident happened last year, one day before David Gunn took office as Amtrak's president. Althought not yet officially in power, he ordered the equipment be repaired someplace nearby rather than being sent to Beech Grove, where it would not yet have been touched. This also took place in Georgia, also with a truck at an unsignalized crossing, only it was the Silver Meteor.

I know public crossings can be improved with better gates, lights, etc., or they can be closed if either an overpass is built, or they are combined with others. But I hope there is something that can be done with private crossings such as these. The problem may be real estate that straddles both sides of the tracks -- otherwise the railroad (in this case CSX) should be within its rights to just close the crossing and require large trucks to use another, more safer means to get across the tracks.

Well like mentioned before this will only add to the passenger car crunch but luckly none of the cars look very badly damaged from the pictures Ive seen, Im betting the LSL Boston section sleeper will be gone for a while again to make up for the cars damaged in this wreck. When the hell will these big trucks learn to Look Listen and LIVE?! Man wrecks like these really upset me. That P42 in the lead definatly needs a nose job and I hope the Amtrak Engineer makes it out of this alright

Its unfortunate to hear, I know the last coach was 25075 in Phase IVB. I agree something has to be done about these crossings. Anybody have the full consist?

Yeah, from what I could make out from the pictures it is loco 199. Man there is NOTHING left to that log truck, one of the pictures shows a couple of tires, some torn up metal and an exhaust system. The picture of what is left of the truck could be used as a tool to make truckers (or all drivers in the matter) to excersize great caution around grade crossings like that, especially unprotected ones!

I'm not fully sure from a picture I saw but I think one of the Viewliners was the Eagle View # 62008, but I am unsure at this time. Hope everyone onboard are ok, including the critically injured engineer.

I think we have several generations of people in this country who have never seriously "internalized" the whole concept of a train.......trains are not "real" to them, not a part of their lives(so they think) and certainly not part of their transportation.

I think many people have no idea how fast a train is traveling. That freight train that looks like it is going 30 may actually be going 50. That passenger train that looks like it is going 50 may actually be going 70. That is, assuming they can tell the difference between a freight train and passenger train.

None of this is meant to be facetious......I am very serious......people really just don't even think about trains....not enough even to stay out of their way at crossings.

Two years ago, I sat in my rented car at a well marked (with lights and gate) but remote railroad crossing near Durham, North Carolina waiting for a train, which was not yet in sight. I was the first in line. Within only a minute, impatient drivers behind me started to drive around me and the closed gates. I was the only driver waiting. Everyone else honked at me (and flung the finger) as they drove by as if I was the jerk. When the train finally came (about 3 minutes after the gate came down) a small pickup truck had to abort its attempt to drive around the gates, and almost hit me doing so. As cruel and cold as it sounds, I have little sympathy for those who get hit by trains at crossings. Too many drivers have no regard for train crossings.

To my other points, above, I must add that many people do not know that a train cannot stop quickly.

In fact, for people who live in cities large enough to have subways, just the opposite impression probably is made....they think "regular" long distance trains can stop as quickly as subway-type trains.

Lots of lack of knowledge about trains out there. I am convinced that is part of why they don't take crossings seriously. (in ADDITION to being rude, ill-mannered, etc, etc)

Bill Haithcoat said:
Lots of lack of knowledge about trains out there. I am convinced that is part of why they don't take crossings seriously. (in ADDITION to being rude, ill-mannered, etc, etc)
You left out an important one Bill.

They are too impaitient. They just don't want to wait and are in too much of a hurry.

The locomotive was indeed the 199. As of this time all PAX's are being bussed between SAV and JAX trains being turned at the respective locations. Auto Train has been suspended and will resume when tracks are clear. Ill have a full consist tomorrow and will try to track down the engine this weekend.

This certainly is an event that could have been avoided and most likely the truck driver was trying to beet the train. Viewliner, the folloing consist of #91 came from All-Aboard groups:

199 P42 locomotive

1726 Baggage/Mail

2518 Crew Dorm, "Pine Shore"

62011 Viewliner Sleeper, "Gulf View"

62013 Viewliner Sleeper, "Harbor View"

8519 Diner

28000 Lounge, "Miami Club"

25047 Amfleet II Coach

25085 Amfleet II Coach

25078 Amfleet II Coach

25075 Amfleet II Coach

Amfleet said:
This certainly is an event that could have been avoided and most likely the truck driver was trying to beet the train. Viewliner, the folloing consist of #91 came from All-Aboard groups:
199 P42 locomotive

1726 Baggage/Mail

2518 Crew Dorm, "Pine Shore"

62011 Viewliner Sleeper, "Gulf View"

62013 Viewliner Sleeper, "Harbor View"

8519 Diner

28000 Lounge, "Miami Club"

25047 Amfleet II Coach

25085 Amfleet II Coach

25078 Amfleet II Coach

25075 Amfleet II Coach
Thanks, for further reference can someone link me to the All-Aboard Groups? I'm guessing that's from Gene Poon, as he made the same mistake twice (once on Trainorders). 62013 is "Harvest View". Looks like its time for another roster update on my website.

Unfortunetly, it looks like the Viewliners where it the hardest. Though upright, they are not straight in line like the coaches. Maybe Sanford can handel the damage, but I would not want to see them rushed to "Beech Grove Community Hospital".

Amfleet said:
Unfortunetly, it looks like the Viewliners where it the hardest. Though upright, they are not straight in line like the coaches. Maybe Sanford can handel the damage, but I would not want to see them rushed to "Beech Grove Community Hospital".
Well these days, thanks to David Gunn, Beach Grove is no longer a black hole where things just disapear. They are fully geared up at this point, so if the damage isn't too severe, BG should be able to get the Viewliners back out rather quickly. :)

Are all the Silver Service trains currently running with one engine?

Interesting thing I noticed, this Silver Star had its baggage car up front, whereas recently, it has had it on the rear. Have they changed back, or was it just the case for this consist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back