Siver Service A/C

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The A/C units have become a major part of the PM.

It takes 8 hrs to do all the checks on a car. We are pulling panels to get to components that haven't been touched in years. This has created a shortage of certain parts, but Amtrak tries to have the parts shipped in for the next day's work. Finding alot of freon leaks, worn out compressors, and electrical defects, etc.

Amfleets eat up the largest amount of time. V/L A/C's are pretty reliable units and the Heritage cars are the easiest to inspect.

I went to MetroRail and got manuals on how to set-up the compressors. I'm now teaching anyone who wants to learn the proper way of checking and repairing compressors. Catch some flak from the lazy old timers, but now they want to learn. People are being held responsible for the work they do, and now need to cover their asses or spend some time on the streets.

We recently had a Foreman, 6 months from retiring get in trouble for signing workers names to inspection sheets. It's been done for years, but I guess HAM wanted to make an example of him. Ham started an investigation, but the union was able to have him put back as an electrician for 6 months so he can retire. Needless to say the guy is having a hard time remembering how to fix cars and the newer cars have him baffled. We're trying to cover his job the best we can, he's a nice guy.

:)

Please, no more popsicle sticks!!! :blink:

Like I said in another thread we don't use the popsicles anymore (actually a coffee stirrer, but you get the idea). The reliability of the units has been pretty good for the most part, we still do get failures every now and then, but not as often as we did this time last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back