sleeper and baggage.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

caravanman

Engineer
Hi folks, Just over 1 week untill "The big trip", and I am now wondering about taking slightly more stuff with me, in a second small case.

As I have booked a sleeper and I am alone, will I be permitted to take my luggage to my compartment, or do I have to check it in to the "baggage car"?

I would like to access stuff in my cases as its a long trip. Is there a "max size or max quantity" on hand luggage, bearing in mind that I am in a compartment, not in a coach seat? Are there any baggage alterations over increased "security" issues? Last question: Am I permitted to sit in a coach seat when I want company or do I just sit in the sleeper?

Many thanks for all your past advice!

Ed. B)

Aloha

I dont remember ever checking luggage in bagage when I had a sleeper the bags were in a storage area of the sleeping car. Also I never went to the coach to sit but I spent most of my time in the lounge car. These trips were some of the best times of my life.

You do not sit in a coach seat when you want company........what you do instead is go to the lounge car, and of course the diner, and you can walk through the coaches. The sleeping car room is your actual assigned space but most people find themselves able to strike up conversations in the lounge, in the diner, in the hall, perhaps people in rooms near yours. but sitting down in a coach seat, sorry.

Keep in mind that in the diner, due to the logistics of a train, you will normally be seated with strangers, so many conversations begin that way.

Ed,

To answer you question more specifically, you are limited to two carry-on bags not weighing more than 50 LBS each. Here's the specific area of the policy:

Carry-on luggage is now limited to two (2) pieces per passenger, not exceeding the specified dimensions of a medium-sized Pullman suitcase (28"x22"x14"/70x55x35 cm). Carry-on limits will not apply to briefcases, purses, laptop cases or cosmetics cases (e.g., train cases).
To view the entire carry-on policy on Amtrak's site, click hre.

My personal suggestion to you would be to bring two bags anyhow, here's why. The room you are in has very limited space for a suitcase, especially a larger one. So I'd bring one large suitcase and one small suitcase. You can then leave the big one in the downstairs luggage rack, while bringing the small one into your room. Hopefully that smaller one will fit under the seats in the room.

You can still get things out of the big suitcase in the downstairs rack anytime you like.

As for where to sit, Bill covered things pretty nicely, but I'm going to correct him on one point. If coach is not sold out, then you might get lucky and find a nice car attendant who'd let you sit back there for a little while. Some attendants won't care, some will. However, frankly you'll find that the view is nicer in the lounge, so there is no real reason to sit in coach.

Now if you made a new friend, then that might give you good reason to try sitting in coach for a while. Again most attendants will let you visit, but they might not let you camp out there. Make sure however that you have your ticket stub with you, such that you can prove you belong on the train as there will be no seat check for you so the conductor may well ask for your ticket.

I have always lowered my upper bed and put all my bags on it. It works well and within easy reach, especially at night. You didn't mention which trains you will be riding, but if your riding in a Viewliner sleeper (single level) then there is no "public" compartment to put your baggage on these cars. The Superliners do as Alan mentioned, but the problem with those is that everybody else in the sleeper seems to have the same idea. This usually results in a very overcrowded baggage compartment and at times there may be no more room to put bags. Besides I don't care for this idea much and wont use it unless I have to because it's easy for someone to take your bag, on accident or on purpose. The only bad thing I can think of with putting all of your luggage in your room is carying it up the very narrow stairs if you have an upstairs bedroom in a Superliner. If you have large or very large bags it can be difficult (but not imposible).

Alan is right that one conceivably could sit in coach for awhile, after getting permission. I thought about that but did not mention it because I think it very seldom happens. Often in coach people have already camped out all over the place with their kids, their brought on board blankets, their brought on board food, etc you probably really would not want to plop down oin the middle of all that. But if a coach is half empty and you are feeling kind of claustrophobic or something, well, it might be worth a try.

But Alan also pointed out that one could meet people elsewhere on the train and join them in coach---I have done that myself, for a few minutes after eating with somebody in the diner.

Also, as Alan pointed out ALWAYS keep your ticket stub with you all over the train, not just when wandering through coach. You never know whem a trainman might challenge you.(No, they are not jerks about it, but it could happen).

amtrakmichigan said:
Besides I don't care for this idea much and wont use it unless I have to because it's easy for someone to take your bag, on accident or on purpose.
This hardly ever happens, especially in the lower level of a sleeper where access and boarding is strictly controlled by an attendant just for that sleeper car. In coach it could be a little more of an issue, but still hardly ever happens. Best advice is to put some distinct identifiable mark on your suitcase (especially if it is a standard black one) like a green scarf around the handle or something to prevent someone taking it by accident as this could be done and would happen more likely than someone stealing your suitcase.

I always check my luggage where that option is offered. I have no desire to go lugging extra luggage around with me when I do not have to. I pay a premium for a sleeper and to my mind, that premium means that transporting my luggage should be someone else's problem.

It does not matter to me how long the trip is. I simply bring my overnight bag with me into the sleeper and the rest (usually one large bag) gets checked. For example, I will be away for a month this June, traveling on several long distance trains during that time. But I am only on each train for one or two nights and that means that an overnight bag is sufficient for on board use.

We Americans tend to pack WAY too much stuff, anyway. So much of it is unnecessary. It is bad enough that we store endless amounts of unnecessary junk in our homes; must we lug along unnecessary items when traveling, too? (Shades of the George Carlin routine "A Place For My Stuff.") :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back