Slightly belated introduction

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wayman

Engineer
I jumped into the forum discussions without ever posting an introduction. Let's fix that!

I've lived in the Philadelphia area for twelve years since coming here for college. Eight years in Swarthmore (four of them in an apartment that overlooked the SEPTA R3), two in Bryn Mawr (half a block from the R5 four-track Main Line), and now two in West Philly (with trolley lines to downtown one block in either direction and an R3 stop four blocks away). My parents live in Lynchburg, VA, and I've taken the Crescent about half the time when I go home for visits, and for most school holidays while I was in college.

Dad's a lifelong railfan (grew up in Chicago back when it was served by a dozen Class 1s) and model railroader; I guess it's in the blood. My circle of Swarthmore alumni friends also includes a half dozen hard-core public transit geeks and railfans, and we play a lot of train-themed board games like Trans-America and Age of Steam.

I've taken the LSL (with a last-minute low-bucket bedroom), Three Rivers (RIP), and Capitol Ltd to Chicago (once getting a lucky $16 Rail Sale fare!), and last month the Crescent from LYH to NOL and back. So far those are my only LD trips, but that'll change big-time starting a week from today:

I go west by Carolinian to Capitol Limited to California Zephyr to GJT; my parents are taking the Crescent and we travel together from there. We've got five days in a rental car during which we'll see six National Parks in Utah. Then my parents drive back to Virginia in a friend's car (helping him move cross-country), while I have a day in Santa Fe to myself, and then a ride on the Santa Fe Southern to Lamy. I catch the Southwest Chief to CHI, have a day to enjoy the city, and then the Cardinal back to Philadelphia. Whew!

... unless you count LD trains in Europe, in which case add in several from the DB (including ICE), SNCB (inc. Thalys), SNCF (inc. TGV), and NS (most of the system, during a summer in the Netherlands with a Voordeelurenkaart (40% off all trains)). Anything you want to know about the Netherlands, including steam railways and obscure spur lines they've privatized, just ask away--it's a small country, but the rail network is extensive and fabulous :)

I stumbled onto this forum last week while Googling for something-or-another pertaining to my upcoming trip. And boy am I glad I found it!

Cheers,

Will

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Will.
ciao.gif

Ahh Netherlands. That's where my blood came from. Sadly, I've never been there even though it's on my must to do list.

Welcome! FYI, the Amtrak Unlimited which is also part of this forum is having a first ever gathering in Chicago on Sat-Sun Oct 13-14. If you're interested, let us know! Some people may come a day early or fly in or whatever whenever.

-gs

Last edited by a moderator:
Enjpy your trip! This summer I took my first long distance journey from Boston to Seattle via the LSL and Empire Builder and loved every minute of it. Next time I'll have to stop in Montanta and visit some of the National Parks. Have fun!

I jumped into the forum discussions without ever posting an introduction. Let's fix that!
I've lived in the Philadelphia area for twelve years since coming here for college. Eight years in Swarthmore (four of them in an apartment that overlooked the SEPTA R3), two in Bryn Mawr (half a block from the R5 four-track Main Line), and now two in West Philly (with trolley lines to downtown one block in either direction and an R3 stop four blocks away). My parents live in Lynchburg, VA, and I've taken the Crescent about half the time when I go home for visits, and for most school holidays while I was in college.

Dad's a lifelong railfan (grew up in Chicago back when it was served by a dozen Class 1s) and model railroader; I guess it's in the blood. My circle of Swarthmore alumni friends also includes a half dozen hard-core public transit geeks and railfans, and we play a lot of train-themed board games like Trans-America and Age of Steam.

I've taken the LSL (with a last-minute low-bucket bedroom), Three Rivers (RIP), and Capitol Ltd to Chicago (once getting a lucky $16 Rail Sale fare!), and last month the Crescent from LYH to NOL and back. So far those are my only LD trips, but that'll change big-time starting a week from today:

I go west by Carolinian to Capitol Limited to California Zephyr to GJT; my parents are taking the Crescent and we travel together from there. We've got five days in a rental car during which we'll see six National Parks in Utah. Then my parents drive back to Virginia in a friend's car (helping him move cross-country), while I have a day in Santa Fe to myself, and then a ride on the Santa Fe Southern to Lamy. I catch the Southwest Chief to CHI, have a day to enjoy the city, and then the Cardinal back to Philadelphia. Whew!

... unless you count LD trains in Europe, in which case add in several from the DB (including ICE), SNCB (inc. Thalys), SNCF (inc. TGV), and NS (most of the system, during a summer in the Netherlands with a Voordeelurenkaart (40% off all trains)). Anything you want to know about the Netherlands, including steam railways and obscure spur lines they've privatized, just ask away--it's a small country, but the rail network is extensive and fabulous :)

I stumbled onto this forum last week while Googling for something-or-another pertaining to my upcoming trip. And boy am I glad I found it!

Cheers,

Will

Welcome aboard. We have some things in common. One, I llive in Altanta, "Crescent country". Also I probably have memories similar to what your father has. My sister went to school at Averitt College in nearby Danville a number of years ago. I always think of that when I pass through.

Cheers,

Will
WELCOME WILL !

I, too, was a Lancaster Pike student at Villanova. Our class rooms overlooked what was the Pennsy main line. Boy, they ran some passenger trains back in the '60's. Now I'm on the south end of the Crescent near New Orleans having retired as a railroad engineer. I think you will enjoy the site.

Will,

Welcome to the forum. I second your comments on trains in The Netherlands. My wife and I spent 10 days there this summer. We took the train a lot and really enjoyed the frequent and reliable service to small and medium-sized cities. It was great looking out of the train windows to see parking lots full of bicycles.

I rode the SantaFe Southern last year in September. It was an excursion that didn't go all the way to Lamy. We stopped about 3/4 of the way there and then just went backwards to SantaFe. Best part of all, I got to ride in the cab. It was only 50 bucks extra. What a thrill.

I rode the SantaFe Southern last year in September. It was an excursion that didn't go all the way to Lamy. We stopped about 3/4 of the way there and then just went backwards to SantaFe. Best part of all, I got to ride in the cab. It was only 50 bucks extra. What a thrill.
I made sure to schedule everything so I could take a one-way to Lamy depot, and the timing was perfect. Thought about the cab ride, but decided against it, and the open-air flatcar ride was very nice as a cheaper alternative. (Next time, cab ride!)

Though later that day during the SW Chief crew change in La Junta, CO, I got a very different sort of cab visit... but that's another story for when I get my travelog written up!

Back