Sneak preview of Amtrak 11/1 timetables

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superliner Diner

Conductor
Once again I've taken a look at how Amtrak's trains will be operating after the upcoming timetable change on Monday, November 1, 2004. Current train or Thruway numbers are in black, while new numbers are in red. Here is my analysis, by route:

Empire Service, ETHAN ALLEN EXPRESS, & ADIRONDACK

Relatively few changes:

• Train 259, a weekday New York-Albany run, will operate 10 minutes later over its entire route.'
  • Train 292, the Saturday southbound ETHAN ALLEN EXPRESS, will run 15 minutes earlier over its entire route.
  • Trains 68 and 70, respectively the southbound weekday and weekend ADIRONDACK, are now combined into a single train, 68, running daily.
DOWNEASTER

Very few changes, if any.

Thruway bus run between Portland and Freeport is cancelled.

VERMONTER

Train 56, the northbound weekday VERMONTER, will run 30 minutes earlier over its entire route.

Northeast Corridor

Many interesting changes, as usual.

Acela Express/Metroliner

• Train 2190, the weekday morning Acela Express from New York to Boston, will operate 40 minutes earlier over its entire route. It will now depart New York City at 6:20 AM.
  • New weekday Train 2174 replaces 2112 and is extended beyond New York to Boston.
  • New Sunday Train 2298 replaces Metroliner 212 and is extended beyond New York to Boston.
  • New Sunday Train 2297 replaces Metroliner 225 and originates in Boston rather than New York.
  • New weekday Train 2157 replaces 2111 and originates in Boston rather than New York.
  • Train 2191, the weekday evening Acela Express train from Boston to New York, will operate 25 minutes earlier.
  • In general, about 5 minutes was removed in both directions between Boston and New York for all Acela Express trains.
  • Sunday-only New York-Washington Acela Express Trains 2205 and 2213 will revert to Metroliner equipment and become, respectively, Trains 205 and 213.
  • Sunday-only Washington-New York Acela Express Trains 2222 and 2224 will revert to Metroliner equipment and become, respectively, Trains 222 and 224.
  • Current Metroliner 220, which now runs on Sundays only, will operate on Saturdays and Sundays. Current Metroliner 222, which now runs on Saturdays only, is cancelled.
  • Metroliner 104 will become a Regional, and operate Monday through Friday as Train 134.
Regionals

• Southbound weekday Regionals 133 and 171, and the southbound CAROLINIAN (Train 79), will each run 30 minutes later than they currently do.
  • Southbound weekend Regional 131 will run 20 minutes earlier than present.
  • Southbound late weekday night Clocker 639 will operate 10 minutes later.
  • Southbound overnight Regional 67 will depart from New York 45 minutes earlier.
  • Weekend Train 140 will terminate in Springfield, and no longer provide service to Worcester, Framingham, or Boston.
  • Weekend Train 147 will be renumbered as 145, originate in Springfield, and no longer provide service from Boston, Framingham, or Worcester.
  • The above two changes leave the LAKE SHORE LIMITED stub train as the only Amtrak service between Boston and Springfield. Weekday Inland Route service was cancelled about two years ago.
  • Northbound weekday Regional Train 172 and northbound weekday VERMONTER (Train 56) will swap timeslots along the Northeast Corridor.
  • Northbound Regional Trains 86 and 184 will swap timeslots along the Northeast Corridor.
  • Regional Train 178, which currently operates daily, will be split into weekday and weekend versions. The weekday train retains the 178 number, while the weekend train will be 168. In addition, a new Train 166 will run Washington-Boston on Sundays only, relieving some of the passenger load from 168.
  • Above weekend Train 168 will swap timeslots with Regional 146 between Washington and New Haven. Train 146, which currently runs Saturdays and Sundays Washington to Springfield, will run on Saturdays only. 146 and the new 166 will share the same timeslot between Washington and New Haven on Saturdays and Sundays respectively.
  • Train 190, the first departure of the morning from Washington to Boston that now operates daily, will be split into weekday and weekend versions. The weekday train will still be 190, while the weekend train will be 150. Unlike other 150-series trains, 150 will terminate in Boston rather than New York.
  • Current Friday-only Regional 134 will no longer run. The number will be used for a Monday through Friday train (see above).
  • In general, most Regionals will be rescheduled by anywhere from 10 to 25 minutes between New York and Boston. Some will be earlier, some will be later than present.
Connecticut Service

• Shuttle Train 474 will no longer run. Instead, new Shuttle Train 472 will operate, connecting from Regional 172 in New Haven.
  • A new Sunday-only Shuttle Train 466 will replace 146 service (which continues on Saturdays).
  • New weekend Shuttle 450 replaces current 490 on weekends, and will connect from Train 150 in New Haven. Shuttle 490 continues on weekdays.
  • As mentioned above, Train 147 will no longer operate. Replacement Train 145 will operate in an earlier timeslot. A new Shuttle 467 will run in the timeslot currently served by 147.

Thanks for informing us on the changes. I'm booked on 2111 for 10/4, which I guess means I'm now booked on 2157. I shouldn't have any trouble when I board since its the same time slot, right?

Viewliner said:
I'm booked on 2111 for 10/4, which I guess means I'm now booked on 2157.  
Me thinks that you've missed your train. :eek: :lol: :D I hope that you meant 11/4. :rolleyes:

Viewliner said:
I shouldn't have any trouble when I board since its the same time slot, right?
I'd double check with Amtrak, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't want to reissue the ticket, unless of course you haven't already picked it up.

This will be your first ride on an Acela, right? Glad your finally getting the chance.

Are you booked into Business Class or First Class? And do you get to go north for the 150 MPH running or south for the 135 MPH running?

AlanB said:
Viewliner said:
I'm booked on 2111 for 10/4, which I guess means I'm now booked on 2157.  
Me thinks that you've missed your train. :eek: :lol: :D I hope that you meant 11/4. :rolleyes:

Viewliner said:
I shouldn't have any trouble when I board since its the same time slot, right?
I'd double check with Amtrak, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't want to reissue the ticket, unless of course you haven't already picked it up.

This will be your first ride on an Acela, right? Glad your finally getting the chance.

Are you booked into Business Class or First Class? And do you get to go north for the 150 MPH running or south for the 135 MPH running?
Oops, meant 11/4, taking it south to Washington, one way, First Class...Finally. I'll also get to use the clubacela lounge in NYP for the first time

Viewliner said:
Oops, meant 11/4, taking it south to Washington, one way, First Class...Finally. I'll also get to use the clubacela lounge in NYP for the first time
Cool, you'll like the lounge. It's much nicer than waiting out in the main station. And there are no bums trying to bum money off of you or taking a shower in the bathroom. :eek:

And I'm sure that you'll like first class with its free lunch and soda's. If your Dad is going with you, then he might appreciate the free drinks.

Have a great trip. :)

Back