So this is why the AEM-7's were rebuilt

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

battalion51

Engineer
After getting a link to the website www.slamtrak.com from the Acela Hits Truck topic, I started browsing and found something interesting. On this particular page are cab shots of an AEM-7DC (922), compare that with AEM-7AC 905, I feel a lot better about the AC program now.

Sister unit #913 had a nasty fire in late 2000 and it warped the metal so bad that the unit had to be cut up. Hopefully 922 isnt sentenced to the same fate.

When I was in Wilmington I saw AEM-7DC 910 up on the rack getting some work done, no number boards, traction motors or anything. Whether it's getting an AC overhaul I don't know, but the cab looked pretty beat up (I have pictures that I will post on my site hopefully next week).

Well, this could present a challenge, if the units (such as 945 and 932 who wear schemes similar to an AC), how the heck are we supposed to tell them apart?

What ya mean tell them apart. You're a dihard rail fan, you should know every unit and everything about it. Come on!!! :p :lol:

Seriously, here's how you tell. The photo below is of an AEM-7DC unit in Phase V.
amt905f.jpg

Now here's a photo of an AEM-7AC in Phase V.
amt935e.jpg

See the difference. Look above the cab and allong the sides on the roof. :)

My bad, you are correct. I forgot that there were two roof designs to the AEM-7AC. Here's #907, AEM-7DC, repainted.

amt907e.jpg

Can you see the difference now? Still the roof that holds the big difference.

If you notice on the AC version there is an added metal vent type structure over the cab, right in behind the air conditioner unit (second photo). Some AC's were also rebuilt with a second row of vents along the side instead on the vent behind the air conditioner. Do you see now?

Amfleet said:
If you notice on the AC version there is an added metal vent type structure over the cab, right in behind the air conditioner unit (second photo). Some AC's were also rebuilt with a second row of vents along the side instead on the vent behind the air conditioner. Do you see now?
Yup right on!. I did notice that. Thanks! :)

Amfleet said:
Yes, just not in the first one. Thanks. :D B)

Not at this time. There are a few that are in the overhaul process (932 and 945). But, the remaining units to be refurbished will remain DC units, as there is no money for the AC overhaul. But the rebuild is a major step in the right direction, not only for crew comfort, but also for reliability purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back