Some insight please

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Thursday the 14th at 1:08 am I am leaving from Cleveland, Ohio on the 30 Capitol Limited. I'll take that to Washington DC (arrival time: 12:24pm). I'll leave DC on the same day at 4:35pm, on the 91 Silver Star and I'll arrive to my destination (Jacksonville, Fla) at 7:48 am on the 15th. I'll take the same route back (but in reverse obviously) a week later.

I've never ridden a train for 5 minutes let alone 24+ hours - outside train trips at theme parks. I'm excited about my trip and have no doubt that it will be much more pleasent than my usual mode on long distance transportation (Greyhound). Be that as it may, I have no idea of what I should expect or not expect during my travel. I'm sure there are historic things that I would likely miss w/out research forehand. I'm sure there are subtle nuances of train travel that I would have no clue about unless I asked. the ultimate goal of my travel is to go spend time with my sister in Florida,but I really want to take advantage of the trip as well. One reason I don't lke airplanes (outside of the fact they just make me nervous as hell), I like enjoying the sites during my travels. I once took a Bus from Ohio to California and back; and while the travel wasn't very comfy - the experience of seeing that part of the country is something I'll never forget (I wish I would have gone rail on that trip).

Okay I'll bear you the burden of anymore of my long windedness and ask my question. From those of you that have traveled this route, and those of you that have a wide experience of rail travel - Could you give me an idea of what to expect; of what to look for; and an idea of how to make my travel pleasent and as smooth as the rail allows.

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Akaroo,

First off, my guess is that you'll enjoy train travel far more than bus travel. The train will offer you the freedom of moving around at will and eating when you want (by and large) and not when the bus stops at a rest stop.

Typically the seats are roomier, not to mention that they recline further and are far more comfortable than any I've ever found on a bus. Plus you can hang out in the cafe car if you like and eat in the dining car.

I'd bring a good book to read and perhaps a CD player for some music, don't forget the headphones.

I would also highly recommend checking out these hints & tips from On Track On Line.

As for sights to see, on the Capitol Ltd. there is Pittsburgh and the rivers, the Sand Patch tunnel, Harpers Ferry and its big bridge. Once in DC you won't have too much time, but take a quick walk around the beautifully restored stationnif you arrive on time.

Upon leaving DC, even though it will be close to dark look to your right upon emerging from the tunnel, for views of the Capitol, the Jefferson Memorial, and other buildings & monuments.

Congratulations on your choice of rail travel vs. the bus. I too live in the CLE are and ride the Capitol to and From Chicago all the time. Here are my tips for you.

1. Call the station at about midnight. Trains do run late and the station attendants are better equiped to give you a more accurate departure time than the web-site.

2. Bring a small blanket and a pillow.

3. The person who mentioned a book and CD or MP3 is right on the head.

4. Make sure you have like a backpack for a few items as you don't want to keep going in your suitcase for stuff. You can leave your suitcase down stairs and not have to lug it up.

5. Expectations are key. Train travel is by far the best mode. It's comfortable, you can walk the train and end up in the club car or diner where you can always find someone to talk to. However, it's not the best mode if you have to be somewhere with no margin. In other words, sit back and enjoy the ride and don't worry how close the train is to being on schedule.

6. On the Capitol Limited, which is a superliner, you want to sit somewhere between the stairs going up and the ends of the car. Those are the high traffic areas. You also do NOT want "bulkhead" seats as they usually are less comfortable (i.e. no foot rests). At the ends of the cars, you also have overhead lighting which sometimes makes it difficult to sleep.

7. Bring a camera as you will no doubt see some great scenery.

8. Have fun and good luck.

Dan

congrats, again. You are helping to keep alive a fine tradition in American culture. I've traveled each of the last three summers by Amtrak when back from overseas. Of course not everything runs smoothly on Amtrak, but if you are in the frame of mind that things won't be perfect, you will be happier. What I enjoy more than anything is sitting in a lounge car and chatting with other people while drinking a cup of tea. :)

You might want to read some of the travelogues people have written. This website as well as On Track On Line has many.

Enjoy, and report back to us, please.

Thanks everyone for the great insight; it's greatley appreciated. One more question, I'm actually driving up from Columbus to the Cleveland station. when I called a couple weeks ago I was told there were 73 long term parking spaces at the station- so I could leave my car there. I'm sure I need to call but should I worry about a spot not being open and what kind of cost should I expect per day?

Thanks again.

OK, here's where I better chime in.

If you value your vehicle at all, do NOT park it at the Cleveland Amtrak station overnight. It is un-guarded for much of the day and night.

The Cleveland Police are much more interested in giving you a parking ticket than catching car thieves stealing your car.

You mak ask: How do I know this?

I used to install automotive glass.

If there was a week that went by where I wasn't fixing someone's car that had been parked at the Amtrak station downtown, it was a rare one.

I don't care if you drive a rusty`74 AMC Matador, it stands a good chance of getting broken into. They do it just for the change in your ashtray.

I was just at the station this past week to change part of my trip that I will be taking the day after your's, and there were a couple of cars sitting there with broken windows and it was essentially a sea of broken tempered glass in the parking lot.

There is a city parking garage off East 9th. St. right by the station that does long term parking. I don't know the prices but your car should be safer there where they have some guards and security cameras.

Better yet. If you know anybody in the Cleveland area who would drop you off and pick you up while car sitting your vehicle, call them.

Bless my sister-in-law who goes to work at 5AM. She will be dropping us off Friday morning and picking us up the following Saturday.

Don't mean to put a bummer on your trip. Just trying to save you from a bummer after your trip. :unsure:

Thanks Cheapfurcoat. I guess I'd better get up to Cleveland earlier so I can find a different spot to park. Unfortunately I don't have anyone up there that can carsit, so I'll be left to my own devices in that area, but thanks for the heads up. No wonder they don't charge to park. :(

If you know the Cleveland area, you could consider parking in the outlying area somewhere and taking the train to Tower City and transferring to the Waterfront line. It goes right to the Amtrak Station.

I used to travel to Cleveland by car on business and never wanted to park downtown, anywhere. I parked at the airport and took the train for $1.50.

Just and idea.

yY8zSR1097591918.gif

MrFSS said:
If you know the Cleveland area, you could consider parking in the outlying area somewhere and taking the train to Tower City and transferring to the Waterfront line. It goes right to the Amtrak Station.
I used to travel to Cleveland by car on business and never wanted to park downtown, anywhere. I parked at the airport and took the train for $1.50.

Just and idea.
And if Amtrak was still running the full Pennsylvanian from a few years ago and/or the rest of Amtrak's trains served Cleveland at a decent hour, this would be a wonderful idea.

Alas, Amtrak doesn't serve Cleveland at a decent hour and GCRTA doesn't run late night service on the Waterfront line. The last weekday train arrives at the Amtrak station a little over an hour before the scheduled departure of the Capitol Ltd. Coming home, assuming an on time arrival, you'd be stuck in the station for over 2 hours before the first Waterfront line train comes by.

So if you can live with hanging around the station for a few hours, then this idea might work. However if you don't feel like hanging out, then this won't work.

MrFSS said:
That is what I did in Albuquerque. There's no long-term parking next to Amtrak station and also in bad part of town. So I parked my vehicle at off-site airport parking (cheaper than on-site) and grab a city bus to the bus hub, which it's next door of Amtrak station. It's nice to ride on bus and explore in Albuquerque.

You might want to check for city bus website in Cleveland, just in case.

akaroo, that is one heck of a good idea about parking at the airport and taking RTA Red Line.

The only problem is that the last Waterfront Line train to the Amtrak Station leaves Tower City at aprox. 11:56PM.

And I don't even know if trains from the airport run through the night.

I would go to the Cleveland RTA web site and check the schedules but this should be doable even if you have to get here really early.

I'd solve the parking dilema by driving to Toledo instead of Cleveland. What is it, another 30 minutes? The Capital leaves at a more civilized time from Toledo (around 11 P.M.); arrives westbound at a more decent time (around 6:30 A.M.); a much better area to park, and it's a cooler train station...

Well, sounds like good ideas from everyone. I don't know the Cleveland area very well so I think I'll just go up really early in the day and figure this all out (nothing like wating till the last minute). I know what to expect when I get to my destination, so the fun part is the travel, and this is turning out to be an adventure already. I should have an interesting travelogue........ :lol:

Good News; My dad is going up to see my grandmother in Cleveland. SO, I don't have to leave my car at the station for a week. Well, I'm on my way out. I'll report back, when I get home. Thanks for all the tips for trips...... :D

Back