Special Train to Bellows Falls, VT

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

battalion51

Engineer
For any railfans in the Massachusettes-Vermont area, Amtrak is running a special train tomorrow. The train will run from Boston to Palmer on the former Conjob Boston and Berkshire Subs, then it'll be recrewed by Brattleboro boys and head up to Bellows Falls, Vt. The train will layover in Bellows Falls for about three hours, during which time the engines (back to back) will run around the train and hook on to the bottom for the trip back to Boston. Recrew with Boston boys at Palmer and back into Boston. If anyone gets pictures let me know, I'd love to see them.

Mass bay does some pretty good specials (even though they had to cancel this past years Foliage Flyer due to lack of equipment! :angry: ). This train, the Snow Train, often times has ran in the past with MBTA coaches as well as Amfleet equipment and often times a private car or two are on the back.

One thing Battalion, the train will not run on the Berkshire Subdivision, the Berkshire subdivision doesnt start until west of Springfield. Not that it matters anyways :p

Back for the longest time, Mass Bay ran another snow train in the winter time, The Snowflake Special. This train ran from Boston to Albany and back and usually this train had all Amfleet equipment on it. I took that train once 10 years ago in 1994. I think they last ran the Snowflake in 1996.

P40Power said:
One thing Battalion, the train will not run on the Berkshire Subdivision, the Berkshire subdivision doesnt start until west of Springfield.  Not that it matters anyways :p
Well you're sort of right. The Berkshire starts at CP-92, which is 6 miles east of Springfield Station, Palmer is at CP-83. I'm so used to anything going up the New England Central to be coming from Springfield. :lol: :blink: :ph34r: My bad.

Its all good, I mean hey you know the area's rail lines pretty well for a Flordinian! The Berkshire Subsdivison is where things get intresting, thats where the twists and turns are and the hills, alot of rock cuts and stuff. Really cool railfan area!! Then you got Pittsfield, its got that run down ex-industrial area to it tha I just love!

Turns out the special wasn't that much. Two Engines (103 and 104) and 7 cars. Not much of a train.

The consist was probably limited due to the number of equipment problems Amtrak has been experienceing lately. The 2002 Foll Foliage Flyer was 11 Amfleets long, which is a pretty good sized train I think.

Of course Bellows Falls has a special place in Railroading History though, even if the train wasn't all that special.

Bellows Falls was the first hometown of Steamtown USA, now located in PA. I made several trips behind steam up there in VT years ago. It was quite scenic running along the river there. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back