State proposes Amtrak cuts

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Opponents of the budget cut also said that the number of Amtrak riders has been increasing.

"The ridership was up considerably in 2004," Gonzales said. "It was up about 20 percent from the previous year, and this year it's up 12 to 14 percent so far."

Amtrak employs over 100 Michigan residents who might lose their jobs if this cut passes, Director of Save Our Trains Michigan Matt Marderosian said.

"I'll be honest, it's not looking real good," he said. "If Amtrak has to start shutting down in Michigan, it's going to lose 133 jobs in Michigan, and I don't think Michigan can stand to lose more jobs."

State News

Those who support the budget cut said the money will go toward other means of transportation.

"What I did with that $1 million was half was put into bussing for disabled people," said Rep. Shelley Taub, R-Bloomfield Hills. "The other half was put toward a subsidy for senior bussing for the Metropolitan Detroit area."

Opponents of the budget cut said losing Amtrak will be detrimental to Michigan's economy.

"From the standpoint of the line from Flint that begins in Port Huron, (the train) is an economic stimulant for the entire region," said Rep. Lee Gonzales, D-Flint Township. "We can attract some tourism from Chicago coming into Michigan."

Back