Stations in Colorado

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coachseats

Service Attendant
I will be riding the CZ to Colorado in August to visit my brother and wondered if anyone had used or at least seen from the train either the Granby or Winter Park Amtrak stations. Which would you recommend as a destination if I might be waiting for awhile for a ride or for the train to come on the way back? Is either close to interesting things to see or do? Thanks!

While I personally have not used the Winter Park station, it is a fairly nice facility. It is staffed only during the winter, but Winter Park/Fraser is a great area. Every person I met or talked to in that area was great, and I had no complaints with the area. It's also a great spot for us railfans as great shots can be had of the Zephyr in fron of the ski slopes (especially at the station) as well as one of the portals to the Moffatt Tunnel right at the ski resort.

The Granby station consists of an indoor waiting area, two bathrooms, a vending machine and a payphone. It's just down a little embackment from the downtown area which has a gas station and a couple of places to eat. I would think Winterpark (13 miles away and about 2000 feet higher) would have a little more to do as it is a resort town, but I believe the train station is at the ski slopes which are about a mile from town. Remember, Winter Park is not called the icebox of the nation for nothing!

The winter park looks like a very nice station, I saw it on my Zephyr trip 2 weeks ago. The grandby station however looks like the way to go in inclement weather as it appears to have a waiting area.

Note: If you are going to WIP i would recommend looking at a very nice bed and breakfeast, I cant remember the name, I believe it is Whistle stop or something. Anywho, I have heard very nice things about it.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy your trip! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back