Summer On The Ocean

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NS VIA Fan

Conductor
Summer on the Ocean

Here's the westbound Ocean departing Halifax yesterday afternoon, July 14/12.

IMG_0735.JPG

IMG_0749.JPG

IMG_0757.JPG

Consist was two F40s + sixteen cars including three coaches, seven sleepers and a Park Car.

Sleeper Plus (Touring) Class is offered during the summer/fall and includes access to the Park Car:

http://www.viarail.c...x-ocean/classes

For anyone in the northeast US, wanting to sample VIA and a classic Budd Dome, a trip on the Ocean can easily be accomplished over three or four days or a long weekend.

Adirondack to Montreal, stay overnight then the Ocean to Halifax the following evening. There are numerous non-stop flights from Halifax back to BOS, EWR, LGA, PHL or DCA/IAD

You can even do a roundtrip on the Ocean and connect to the southbound Adirondack the same day but the connection is tight……about an hour at St. Lambert. I would recommend an overnight stay and there's lot's to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
As always enjoy your posts an pics! Youve done a really good job of enticing our Members to try out VIA and Beautiful Canada, hope ya'll are able to convince the Harper Government to not make anymore cuts to VIA!! Seems that Right Wing-Nuts must be sharing a Playbook with Kick Around Trains High on the List! :angry2:

Last edited by a moderator:
For anyone in the northeast US, wanting to sample VIA and a classic Budd Dome, a trip on the Ocean can easily be accomplished over three or four days or a long weekend.

Adirondack to Montreal, stay overnight then the Ocean to Halifax the following evening. There are numerous non-stop flights from Halifax back to BOS, EWR, LGA, PHL or DCA/IAD
I am doing precisely that over the US Thanksgiving Weekend.

Thanks for the photos. I am planning a roundtrip on the Ocean in early September. It will be a tad longer than a long weekend for me since I will be "training" from Florida to Halifax and back.

Are any of the trips currently being made with conventional equipment, or are all the sets renaissance (sp) ?
No…..its all Renaissance now (except the Park Car) The conventional Budd cars only operated one set during the winter while the Rens had Barrier-Free modifications made. Some of these modified cars are now in service.

And with the Ocean going tri-weekly this fall……there will probably be sufficient Renaissance cars available this winter that the old Budd equipment will not be used.

Are any of the trips currently being made with conventional equipment, or are all the sets renaissance (sp) ?
No…..its all Renaissance now (except the Park Car) The conventional Budd cars only operated one set during the winter while the Rens had Barrier-Free modifications made. Some of these modified cars are now in service.

And with the Ocean going tri-weekly this fall……there will probably be sufficient Renaissance cars available this winter that the old Budd equipment will not be used.
Thanks for the info, I like riding the conventional so I can pretend I am on a less expensive version of the Canadian...LOL

Back