Sunset Limited and Phoenix

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was about 10 years old we would take the Sunset to Tucson and return on a bus for a day trip. You could see the headlight miles away looking west, then it would disappear around a curve, then reappear much closer. Nothing like being a kid watching for a train!

p.s. I took a Downeaster from Old Orchard Beach back to Boston yesterday and I was a 67 year old kid watching for the headlight...

The Amtrak Phoenix Union Station is still there. I have picked up and dropped off my Mother at that station as she travelled on Amtrak ... several decades ago. It was a very nice station. Exactly what you would expect of a train station out west in a small'ish town (at the time).

Fortunately it is in downtown Phoenix. Unfortunately it is in downtown Phoenix. Unfortunately because it is not in the nicest area. There is nothing nearby. I wouldn't want anyone to get off there and then have to walk anywhere. Can't easily move railroad tracks or stations. With currently only 6 trains (3 trains each way) and at best a daily train (14 trains) a week ... by itself ... it is not going to improve that area.

But ... I still want Amtrak in Phoenix ... I'll take it at that old station. I'm not holding my breath either. Hopeful, but that is all.

Photos are screen grabs from Google Maps

Attachments

• IMG_5244.jpeg
    IMG_5244.jpeg
    380.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5243.jpeg
    IMG_5243.jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 0
The investigation by STB of UP's dismal performance of the Sunset will need a face saving solution. So to prevent any financial penalty UP agrees to daily service from LAX <> NOL without any ROW upgrades. Also allow Phoenix service which Amtrak will pay for track improvements west of PHX. Any freight cars on PHX west route will pay fee by reducing track charges. Some UP siding changes so no over length trains on any district.

The old Amtrak sign was finally removed from Union Station in the last year or so.

As much as I'd love the old station back, from a connectivity standpoint a 44th St. station would probably work better. It's by the existing Sky Train (airport) and Valley Metro (light rail) station.
I can see the logic but since they're not that far apart maybe a shuttle would work?

As a long time Amtrak supporter ( since the beginning) and someone who actually took the Sunset Limited from LA to Tempe, I would recommend any Phoenix stop to be at the Metro stop near PHX. Not only would that make more logistical sense ( just from a parking situation alone as well as access to the rental car facility, light rail, and of course a major US airport), I would posit that there are very few in the Phoenix Metro area that would even remember the Phoenix station let alone want to use it.

@alanh, @danasgoodstuff

I loved the old Phoenix Amtrak station ... neat western architecture. However, it is just not in a "good" area and doesn't connect with any local transportation easily.

Very much would like to see the Sunset Limited connect/share a stop with the local Metro Rail somewhere. Anywhere in the valley, it doesn't have to be in Phoenix directly, Tempe would be fine. Just a local Amtrak Sunset Limited running through the Phoenix area with a stop. Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the U.S. and we should have an Amtrak train station.

The 44th Street Station for PHX Sky Harbor Airport Sky Train is so very close to the Union Pacific tracks that run along the north side of the PHX airport. That seems like the most logical PHX Amtrak station location. There is also the possibility of the old Amtrak station in Tempe location, there just isn't an existing Metro Rail station there (at this time).

The Sky Harbor location would seem to make the most sense. Connect to the airport Sky Rail and to the Metro Rail and buses. There are plenty of hotels nearby, rental cars would be available. Certainly could be Phoenix's version of a Union Station.

Last edited:
Back