Sunset Limited

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amfleet

Engineer
From an unconfirmed report on Trainorders, the Sunset Limited may see an increase to 4 departures a week by the April 26 timetable change or in October. However, this would require two additional Superliner trainsets. I much rather see those trainsets put on the Cardinal to ease up the single-level long distance fleet situation. Again, this is totaly unconfirmed.

I think increased sunset service would be better. In the last few months there has been over a 40% ridership increase on the sunset. With the cardinal, supposily it has increased ridership because it has been extended to NYP. As much as I would like to see increased service on the cardinal i think it would hurt ridership if it was cut back to washington. ;) Anyone know why checked baggage is supposed to return to teh cardinal so late in the year? It can't be a baggage car shortage, because didn't amtrak get more from the old heritage coaches a few years ago?

AlanB said:
engine999 said:
You can't complain about more train frequency.   :D
Well you could complain, but then you'd be an Amtrak hater. :lol: :D :p
Or someone who hates to wate at a grade crossing that the train blocks for five minutes while it loads. :p

I don't buy it. I don't buy it one bit. This report's uncnfirmed, there's not mention of a source. I'll check with some of my people, but I don't buy it.

battalion51 said:
I don't buy it. I don't buy it one bit. This report's uncnfirmed, there's not mention of a source. I'll check with some of my people, but I don't buy it.
I would have to agree, but I will keep my hopes up.

I heard something about this a while back. I thought that the Texas Eagle was going to be the one to increase to four times a week from San Antonio to Los Angeles... If this is the case, the Sunset Limited route would have service four times a week between Los Angeles and San Antonio and still just three times a week from San Antonio to Orlando. This would be a good move, but don't keep your hopes up. I heard about this a while back, unconfirmed, and nothing recently until now.

jccollins said:
I heard something about this a while back. I thought that the Texas Eagle was going to be the one to increase to four times a week from San Antonio to Los Angeles... If this is the case, the Sunset Limited route would have service four times a week between Los Angeles and San Antonio and still just three times a week from San Antonio to Orlando. This would be a good move, but don't keep your hopes up. I heard about this a while back, unconfirmed, and nothing recently until now.
Of course the Texas Eagle idea was already tried once before. When the Eagle started running daily a few years back, it combined with the Sunset on it's three days. Addtionally a fourth train went through to LA on it's own.

I'm not quite sure why that extra run got cut, although I think it was lack of ridership, but nonetheless it did cut back.

It could be something fishy because last time I checked Amtrak dose not have that many extra superliners for more train consists. ;)

engine999 said:
It could be something fishy because last time I checked Amtrak dose not have that many extra superliners for more train consists. ;)
If it did it would (or at least should) go to re-equiping the Cardinal with Superliners. I didn't buy it when I read it yesterday, thats the primary reason I didn't post it. If the route as a whole were increased in frequency, there was no mention of the Texas Eagle. Funding for an increase on frequency for the Sunset, would at this point be better spent on either additional repairs, or maybe having the Diner for the entire Eagle, not just to Ft. Worth.

If my memory serves me correct, as per David Gunn (president), absolutely no new service, and/or increase of existing service frequency until the company is returned to a state of good repair!!! This meaning financially as well as with its physical structure! They need to take care of what they have, and meet a balance within the compnay to repair years of overspending and neglect! I'll believe it if I see it, maybe in about ten years. But with Amtrak, ya never know, though!!!

Amtrak OBS Employee said:
If my memory serves me correct, as per David Gunn (president), absolutely no new service, and/or increase of existing service frequency until the company is returned to a state of good repair!!! This meaning financially as well as with its physical structure! They need to take care of what they have, and meet a balance within the compnay to repair years of overspending and neglect! I'll believe it if I see it, maybe in about ten years. But with Amtrak, ya never know, though!!!
Amtrak can't start any new service because of that $200 million loan it got from the government 2 years ago. Incresing the Sunset Limited to four weekly departures in merely an increase in frequencies. However, you are correct that in Amtrak's current equipment situation would not be able to handle such additional trains. IMHO, it's going to take about 1000 equipment rebuilds and at least 5 years until we see any new service.

Amfleet said:
Amtrak OBS Employee said:
Amtrak can't start any new service because of that $200 million loan it got from the government 2 years ago. Incresing the Sunset Limited to four weekly departures in merely an increase in frequencies. However, you are correct that in Amtrak's current equipment situation would not be able to handle such additional trains. IMHO, it's going to take about 1000 equipment rebuilds and at least 5 years until we see any new service.
I should have some idea!..........IT IS MY LIVELYHOOD!!!! :lol: :D

"Bring the company itself into a good state of repair!" Means "financially" as well as the "equipment" problem! What I am speaking of is the "company as a whole!!!"

Aloha

Hope someone confirms this. Cold make going to New Orleans by train possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back