Superliner Observation car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amtrak Watcher

Lead Service Attendant
Is the upstairs bar on the Superliner Observation car every used anywhere? Has it ever been used for anything but a trash bin?

Amtrak Watcher said:
Is the upstairs bar on the Superliner Observation car every used anywhere? Has it ever been used for anything but a trash bin?
As a general rule, the upstairs bar is not used these days on most trains.

I have only once seen the upper level bar used in my travels. It was about three years ago, when I was riding the Cardinal. A couple was getting married by the conductor in the lounge. The ceremony was performed as the train went through the New River Gorge National Park, which is probably the most scenic part of the Cardinal's entire run.

After the wedding, the upper level bar was used to serve champagne that the groom had brought on board the train. Not only did the small wedding party receive champagne, but they also served it to all adults who happened to be in the lounge at that time.

It was a very nice treat, :) and the first and so far only time, that I've ever seen a wedding while on board the train.

AlanB said:
Amtrak Watcher said:
As a general rule, the upstairs bar is not used these days on most trains.
I have never seen one in use. Is there a reason why? Perhaps it would cause too much congestion and distraction. It's certainly just as easy to go downstairs to get a snack and/or something to drink.

seajay

>>I have only once seen the upper level bar used in my travels. It was about three years ago, when I was riding the Cardinal. A couple was getting married by the conductor in the lounge. <<

Amtrak conductors have legal authority to perform marriage ceremonies?

Chatter163 said:
Amtrak conductors have legal authority to perform marriage ceremonies?
Chatter,

Yes, oddly enough they do. Apparently they are much like ship captains and they have the authority to perform marriage ceremonies.

I myself was quite surprised when I saw the ceremony. Later that day I was at lunch, and the groom was once again passing out champagne. When the conductor who did the ceremony walked by the table, someone else sitting with me remarked to him, “How unusual it was to have a wedding on the train”. The conductor replied that in almost 15 years of Amtrak service, he had performed close to 25 weddings.

So it's apparently not that uncommon to have a wedding on the train.

I also wouldn't be surprised if some Amtrak conductors or other personnel are also ministers in their spare time. Would not be the most outlandish thing I ever heard.

tp49 said:
I also wouldn't be surprised if some Amtrak conductors or other personnel are also ministers in their spare time.  Would not be the most outlandish thing I ever heard.
I suppose that could be possible too.

However, just by virtue of being a conductor they can perform a marriage while on board the train.

Interesting, that is somehting that never would have crossed my mind to think of.

Apparently the right of a conductor to perform a marriage has been around for years. In fact I think that the right extends back into the steam era of railroading.

Again it's much like the right of a ship captain to marry couples while at sea.

Very cool indeed...wonder if my girlfriend would get too mad at me if I suggested that... :) There really can be something about a train that's magic.

Amtrak Watcher said:
I've never seen it used as a bar, but I have seen it used for a National Park Service "Trails and Rails" presentation on Lewis and Clark. It was probably the most convenient place for the presenters to spread out their collection of artifacts and demonstration pieces.

gswager said:
On Coast Starlight, they usually use Pacific Paulour for the sleeper class. In case the P.P. is down, they use extra sightseer car with an active bar. :wacko: Oh man, got a hangover...
Sounds like there's a story here. Come on, spill the beans. What happened? :D

First of all, you guys are right, the upper bars have not been used in years. I believe it is just because of budget cuts. I did, however, have one in use, years ago on the Empire Builder. There were two attendants, one downstairs, and one upstairs. He not only served drinks and snacks, but he also had bubbles and games for kids. It was a great time.

And as for Amtrak employees being ministers outside of Amtrak...yes, this is very true. I worked with a couple of ministers over the summer. Several train attendants have other jobs outside of Amtrak, for instance, a limo company, and a watch/clock brokerage.

On the California Zephyr, I've seen that bar area used by national park guides. The guide set up some furs and other natural history items that enhanced his speech. Good idea and nice treat.

Wooden Mike,

Now as far as getting married on the train. The first rule; don't gamble on getting a bedroom for that trip. :D Book the room in advance.

Here's what I did learn when that couple got married on my train. Again I may not be 100% correct, but I think that most of what I'm going to tell you is accurate.

First decide what train you would like to be married on, and then next decide where in the journey you would like to actually have the ceremony. Most people choose one of the more scenic areas for the ceremony.

That however means, that you probably won’t be able to have the ceremony during the busy summer months. The reason for this is that Amtrak won’t want to clear out part of the Sightseer Lounge when the train is full.

At the time I saw the wedding, I was on the Cardinal in August. The couple was married as we went through the New River Gorge, the most scenic part of the Card’s journey. The Cardinal however does not see the passenger loads that say the Zephyr would see going through the Rockies. So again you might have to pick a date in May or September, on the shoulder of the peak season.

You obviously should make prior arrangements with Amtrak for this, so that the conductor is prepared. You also need to have your license and other necessary paperwork.

Now bring your own boom box with whatever music you would like for the ceremony. The couple that I watched made a mix tape up in advance. They had some soft music for the actual ceremony, and then several party songs that they liked. They even had a first dance, although it was a tad shaky as the train was bouncing around. You can usually find a willing person in the lounge to take pictures for you, if you bring your camera. I took several shots for the couple that I watched getting married.

Also bring the Champagne, as I don’t believe that Amtrak supplies it. Perhaps you can have Amtrak buy the champagne for you, but I’m not sure. I do know that they will chill it for you. While you are certainly not obligated to buy enough for anyone else who just happens to be in the lounge at the time, it is a nice touch. Plus it sort of gives you a party to celebrate your union. You can ask Amtrak to provide a party mix in the lounge if you like for a fee, or you can bring your own if you would like to.

The couple on my train had a small wedding cake. It was not the typical multi-level cake, as there is no real room to store such a cake onboard. Not to mention that one good bounce would probably unseat the levels.

What the conductor will do is to clear out one side of the sightseer lounge for the ceremony. That is not to say that he clears out one half of the car, just as an example, the right side of the front half of the car. This gives enough room for you and your bride, a bride’s maid, a best man, and the conductor. Perhaps if your wedding party were a little larger, maybe they would actually empty one half of the car.

Even if he did empty half the car, as I’m sure that you are aware, he can’t stop passengers from passing through the car going to and from the diner. There is also another incentive to keep the wedding party on the small side; you still have to pay for all the bedrooms that you use. Now perhaps if you were doing this really off peak, Amtrak might give you a break off of the fares although I wouldn’t bet on it. However, I can promise you that they won’t be offering any breaks during the peak seasons.

In addition to the conductor another Amtrak employee, I believe that it was the lounge car attendant (perhaps it was a coach attendant) set up the upstairs bar. He turned the music on and off, poured the champagne, and cut the cake. Now I know for sure that the groom tipped the attendant for his service, although I couldn’t tell you how much.

I also know that the groom tipped the conductor for his part in the service. It was probably the first and only time I’ve ever seen a conductor get a tip. I also think that it would be proper to do so, as he is performing above and beyond the call of duty. I think that he slipped the conductor $100 bucks, it might have been even more, but I know that I saw at least one 50-dollar bill change hands.

I think that I’ve covered everything that I know, if I can think of anything else later on I’ll add it to this thread. If you’ve got any other questions, ask away and I’ll try to answer them if I can. :)

If I get married (I like the variety in dating though) I would hold the cermony on the train only if "she" would okay it. I've always thought that on the back of company serivce business car "Beech Grove" would be the perfect place to say "I do".

Amfleet said:
If I get married (I like the variety in dating though) I would hold the cermony on the train only if "she" would okay it. I've always thought that on the back of company serivce business car "Beech Grove" would be the perfect place to say "I do".
It would be, but I doubt unless you work for them in a high-level position, or have the $$$ for it, it won't happen.

Well in the case of the couple that I witnessed getting married, the groom had no trouble getting the brides approval. Not only did they both like riding trains, they actually meet each other about 2 years earlier while on board an Amtrak train.

Since Amtrak brought them together, they both felt that getting married on Amtrak was only fitting. Somehow though I got the idea that the brides maid wasn't too thrilled with their choice.

Viewliner said:
Amfleet said:
It would be, but I doubt unless you work for them in a high-level position, or have the $$$ for it, it won't happen.
We don't know that. I have seen that car used sparinginly since, Gunn likes to travel with the other passengers. Also Beech Grove has been used on charter trains so it must be possible to "book it".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back