SW Chief cuts truck in two near Trinidad

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rsteng

I was riding #3 Wed AM in a sleeper four cars back from the 4-engine consist. Was running right on time a few miles east of Trinidad doing 90 mph (according to the conductor). Suddenly felt a thud and looked down to see a cloud of dust with something white inside of it. Engineer, who had just told us we were running on time, came on with a shaken voice and said we had just hit a vehicle. The truck was a late model Dodge Ram 2500

and was literally cut in two. Now heres the miraculous part. The idiot driving it WALKED AWAY. A 4+ hour delay followed as the two lead engines suffered extensive damage and had to be cut off and taken to a siding in Trinidad. The remainder of the trip was made with two engines which made for a slow ride up Raton (with the power being cut to the cars for several minutes for the extra HP). I saw the front of the locomotives when we passed them in Raton and they didn't have a lot of front damage. I think most of the damage was arond the wheel area. At Raton we were able to get out for a break and I looked at the side of the cars. There were two

large dents in my car with the smaller being right under my window. The Transition Sleeper almost had a window knocked out.

Unfortunately these incidents are all too common. You are fortunate that your train had as many engines as you did, otherwise you could've ended up with freight engines and no HEP at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back