Taglo Trainsets Being Withdrawn From Service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amfleet

Engineer
Source Amtrak and Gene Poon

Due to shortfalls in the maintenance of the Cascades Talgo equipment, discovered by the FRA, three of the Talgo sets are to be withdrawn after

today's Cascades Talgo schedules.

The Mt. Hood, Mt. Baker and Mt. Rainier sets were to be removed from

service on Monday, Aug. 18, 2003 but after a two-day temporary extension

of operation was granted by the FRA, scheduled service was not affected.

The FRA extension now expires at the end of the day's service on

Tuesday, Aug. 19, 2003.   The Mt. Olympus set will be withdrawn from

service on Tuesday, Sept. 2, 2003.

Replacement of parts and successful completion of FRA inspections will

be required before the train sets can be restored to service.

Substitute equipment will be temporarily provided from Sound Transit

until Superliner and Horizon equipment can be sent to the Pacific NW.

-from AMTRAK sources

WOW! :eek: I always thought that they really took care of the equipment up there on Cascades, apparently not. I also believe the FRA is being extra careful with the Talgo sets because they only have temporary FRA qualification. I sure would be awfully PO'd if I were going to get on a Talgo and a Horizon car were waiting there instead.

battalion51 said:
WOW! :eek: I always thought that they really took care of the equipment up there on Cascades, apparently not. I also believe the FRA is being extra careful with the Talgo sets because they only have temporary FRA qualification. I sure would be awfully PO'd if I were going to get on a Talgo and a Horizon car were waiting there instead.
Yes, I know the talgos were very reliable. I agree, a Horizon is the worst possible substitute. Any word on how long this could take to restore them?

Viewliner said:
battalion51 said:
WOW! :eek:  I always thought that they really took care of the equipment up there on Cascades, apparently not. I also believe the FRA is being extra careful with the Talgo sets because they only have temporary FRA qualification. I sure would be awfully PO'd if I were going to get on a Talgo and a Horizon car were waiting there instead.
Yes, I know the talgos were very reliable. I agree, a Horizon is the worst possible substitute. Any word on how long this could take to restore them?
Once again it won't be until Amtrak gets the money, but I don't think the part replacements are too costly. The lucky thing is Amtrak does have spare Horizons and now a few spare Superliners. If this were a year ago who knows what equipment would be used as a substitute.

Well if you think about the Heritage equipments purpose, the main role they serve today is as Baggage cars and Dining Cars. I personally have a hard time imaging either a Superliner or a Horizon car being converted into either capacity.

That is a shame :( . I just got back from a one day trip up that way, was not able to ride them this time, but I have in the past. I agree though, it did appear that they kept the train sets in great shape...but I guess you cant always judge a car by its shell.

It was a short interruption. The trains had brake problems that have been fixed and are back into service as usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back