Taking a Trip..

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lodown

I am taking my first long-distance train trip from Detroit to Seattle. What should I expect regarding accomidations(I will be in a standard room), food, and just about anything else?

The cars on the Chicago to Seattle Empire Builder are bilevel Superliner cars, but Ive never ridden in them so I dont have experience on what they are like, but I hear nothing but praise about them.

Detriot to Chicago is a bit different experience. They use single level Horizon coaches. I DO have experience with these .. . and well they are certainly nothing special, so dont expect much in the way of comfort with these cars.

Food, the Empire Builder has a dining car serving complete meals. Amtrak generally serves great means with pretty good selections. It also has a lounge car for purchasing snacks and suvieneers and stuff like that.

Detriot - Chicago. Probably an Horizon Dinette or Amcafe. Sells light fare snacks, sandwhiches, and beverages! Some of which is pretty good from my experience.

Food is quite expensive on Amtrak trains, or at least it seems it to me!

With a ticket for a standard bedroom, meals in the dining car are included. Enjoy!

seajay

To add to seajay's comment - any non-alcoholic beverage (or multiple beverages if you desire) are included with each meal, as well as dessert for lunch and dinner. Same deal for side dishes or add-ons, like bacon and swiss to your burger, or like ham and sausage to your breakfast item. Menu prices are for coach passengers only (except for alcohol - you pay that regardless).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back