taking kids on the amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mom

My family is planning an amtrak trip at the end of March. We are taking the train from Battle Creek, Michigan to Chicago, and from there, down to New Orleans. Our kids are 2 and 6. We are super excited, mostly because it is our first vacation EVER and because of the train. I want to know if there are people out there who have taken small children on the train before and how it went; any tips?? How about the sleeping arrangements. We are in a deluxe car.

Thanks!!

Hmmm. Is it four people in the room? I would've suggested the Family Room (if any are available) if there are four people. The Family Room spans the width of the car downstairs and has two adult and two child beds. But you most likely will want the two year old to sleep in the same bed as you. The Deluxe room is pretty spacious, with an upper and lower bunk (the lower can probably fit two adults or an adult and two kids if you work it right). There is a restroom and shower in the room, in a seperate compartment about the size of a telephone booth. As of right now all your meals in the Dining Car included, but there is some debate over how long that will last, stay tuned in the next month or so to see how that one turns out. You and your kids will most likely love the trip, and hopefully come back for more.

We've traveled twice with our kids, the first time when my daughter was 12 and my son was 7. They both had such a good time we did it the following year.

Our first trip was on the Coast Starlight from LA to Seattle and the second was the Sunset Limited from LA to Orlando. We had the family bedroom both times. If there are any available, I would second Battalion51's suggestion that you try to get one of those.

Amazingly, I can't recall either kid complaining of boredom on either trip. Both made friends with other kids on the train. I would suggest books and GameBoys for the 6-year-old. The 2-year-old will probably enjoy looking out the window, but I'd bring plenty of coloring books.

If there are particular foods that one of them likes, you might bring some of that on board. The food in the dining car is fine (particularly for the 6-year-old) but I know the younger ones can be fussy. Be aware that if the 6-year-old would rather have a regular meal than something on the kids' menu (which is kind of limited), that's perfectly all right, and it doesn't cost anything.

If I can think of any other suggestions, I'll post them.

The Kids Menu is either Chicken Fingers or Kraft Mac & Cheese for lunch and dinner. Breakfast they can eat of the big guys menu.

Actually, though usually there is no mention of it by most of the LSAs/Stewards, there is also a kids meal available on the breakfast as well. The choices are one egg either scrambled or over with potatoes and crossant, or a kids portion of pancakes. If my memory serves me correct, the price was in the $4.25 or $5.25 range, however, I may not be totally correct with that amount. And I believe they even get a selection of bacon or sausage with the meal as well as their beverage (juice, milk etc), too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back