Teenagers, School & Freight Trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the public will have something to say about saving kids from being hit by trains by killing them with electricity.

Perhaps a standard chain-link fence, six feet high, will deter them enough.

I think the public will have something to say about saving kids from being hit by trains by killing them with electricity.
Perhaps a standard chain-link fence, six feet high, will deter them enough.
I think the electric fence would be overkill, but I doubt it would kill anyone, they're sprinkled throughout my neighborhood. A lot of the horsey-set lives around here. Still, it's not the answer in this situation.

Discussion about an electric fence (or any other kind) is pointless here. This is a street crossing (and apparently a fairly major street at that), so kids wanting to use it would just walk in the roadway if the rest of the ROW was fenced off.

The school is very close by (only about a block or two east), so a lot of kids will use W 300 N. Freight trains usually don't run on a schedule, so unless some block of time is dedicated to keeping trains out of the area, it's not practical or even possible for kids to "check the schedule" to make sure they can get to school on time without leaving home early. A detour to the next street north (W 6th N) with an overpass might mean an extra 10-20 min walk—little better option than waiting for the train to pass (and this isn't even taking into account the bums that the female poster fears). Since students have no way of knowing how long the train will stay in the crossing, it's a gamble.

In short, the kids who walk (and don't we want kids to walk to school so they won't get too fat?) don't have many alternatives.

Back