Texas Eagle roundrip AUS / LRK

• Thread starter Drew in Tulsa, errr....Austin
  • Start date
Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Drew in Tulsa, errr....Austin

I visited the station last night, saw only one engine (don't know which one), and no sleeper (only transition car).

1) Are sleeper sales so slow that they have to share the transition car now? Also, any idea what the prospective cost of an upgrade from coach would be?

2) Have they suspended meal service at all on this route?

3) Anywhere in coach that I can plug in a laptop?

Thanks!

I rode the Eagle roundtrip from Dallas to St. Louis about 3 weeks ago and we had two locomotives and a regular sleeper positioned between the transition sleeper and the dining car. Any changes that have been made to the consist have apparently happened very recently. Perhaps another user who monitors the train consist more regularly can surmise whether what you saw was an aberration or something more permanent.

Going northbound, the dining car crew doesn't board until Fort Worth, so you'll have boxed lunches from the lounge car. The first available meal from the dining car will be dinner sometime after Dallas, provided nothing has changed per your recent observations. Coming back, the dining car crew de-trains at Fort Worth, so the last meal is lunch, using the dinner menu plus a few selections from the lunch menu. I had Delmonico steak and it was terrific.

Don't know about the outlets in the coaches... sorry.

The configuration you saw applies (in the south-bound case for example) to those days when the Texas Eagle does not meet the Sunset Limited in San Antonio. This change became effective on 8 June. On those days when the Texas Eagle does meet the Sunset Limited, a sleeper and a coach are added on the rear, which are connected to the Sunset Limited in the middle of the night. The single locomotive is all there is on any configuration these days. I was on this train (south-bound) on 8 and 9 June, when a service crew member explained that the changes were made so that additional sleepers and locomotives would be available for the more popular trains in the west, which he presumed to be the California Zephyr. The same crew member thought this was a temporary change only for the summer, and that if Mr. Gunn's plans are allowed to function, there will be enough rebuilt sleepers to not have to do this next year (2004).

I have been riding the western long distance trains for several years, and find the Texas Eagle somewhat unusual in that it has a larger percentage of "regulars" than the others; I am more likely to see familiar faces on the Texas Eagle than on any other train in the west. The Texas Eagle doesn't seem to have a "busy season" like most of the other western trains do. I am on the Texas Eagle about 3 times a month. The bad part (bad for Amtrak - good for me) is that I seem to able to get a sleeper on very short notice, and there is at least one empty sleeper compartment every time I'm on the Texas Eagle – any time of the year. This is somewhat worrisome for me, as I take the Texas Eagle in and out of Dallas (in both directions) often as a means of business travel; I don’t know what I would do without it.

The diner service between Ft. Worth and San Antonio ended early this year; I think it was in February. The lounge still works, and sleeper passengers get special box lunches during the segment. I can remember several times when I was the only customer in the diner between these two cities the whole time the diner was open.

As for outlets... The sleepers have them of course. You can always find one in the lounge car, but it's likely to have someone's phone plugged into it. Some of the recently rebuilt coaches have them on a power strip just under the windows next to every seat. The older coaches have a few hidden next to a few selected seats down closer to the floor. Thay hard to see, but I have always been able to find a coach outlet. If you are plugging in a laptop or other "electrically fragile" device, bring a small surge protector. Radio Shack has a small one for about $8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back