Thanksgiving in the Diner

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amtrakmichigan

Lead Service Attendant
Does any of you guys know if Amtrak serves up a special Thanksgiving dinner in the Diner on Thanksgiving night? I never read or heard of such a thing, but it would be a nice touch. I will be riding the Sunset from ORL to NOL that day to come back home from our vacation. Thanks for any feedback.

It may be possible that a good Dining Car crew will pick up a few turkeys at a local supermarket and roast them in the Diner then carve and serve it with the stadard side dishes Amtrak already offers.

Yes, I would assume they would do something like this Thankgiving night. After all, that's what the "Tonight's Special" is on the menu for, right?

Amtrak California's San Joaquin trains used to serve up a nice turkey dinner on the Wednesday before and day of Thanksgiving back when they offered full sit-down dining car service. Unfortunately the San Joaquins only offer pre-packaged microwavable entrees now, even though these are still pretty good.

jccollins said:
After all, that's what the "Tonight's Special" is on the menu for, right?
I agree with you "jc", that's what I would think too. But we are talking about Amtrak :ph34r: . Anyway, if they don't its not a big deal, I was just currious about that one.

amtrakmichigan said:
jccollins said:
After all, that's what the "Tonight's Special" is on the menu for, right?
I agree with you "jc", that's what I would think too. But we are talking about Amtrak :ph34r: . Anyway, if they don't its not a big deal, I was just currious about that one.
Acutally, the "Tonight's Special" is a set entree just like everything else on the menu. The only difference is is that the "Tonight's Speical" will change on trains that serve dinner more than once, where as all the other items will be the same on the second night. It was just put on the menu to add a little bit more variety and made sure passengers had a nice range of meals. This doesn't mean a special turkey dinner won't be served up on Thanksgiving.

No, I know it doesn't mean that they WILL take advantage of it for this purpose - just an assumption.

amtrakmichigan - JC is actually my real first name (just like Jim or Bill), you don't need to use the " " :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back