The Chief?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Musicians4Trains

Train Attendant
This winter I will have a six week period in which to do some train riding. I am going from Los Angeles to Atlanta but instead of taking the Sunset Ltd, this time I want to take the train that goes from LA to Chicago and then to New Orleans (the Chief?)

Can anyone tell me what the scenery is like in that part of the country in late December? I leave December 19.

Any input is appreciated. :)

Well that's definitely a roundabout way to do it. I can't say much for the oustide scenery except that it's beautiful and constantly changing. The Sughtseer Lounge is a great place to view the passing scenery. Also pack plenty of patience as trains will be full, and delays are likely.

Southwest Chief connecting to the City of New Orleans connecting to the Crescent. Sounds like one heck of a journey.

I've never been on the Chief before...about the only thing I can say is that is gets up to 90mph+ on some parts of the route. I'm sure the scenery is stunning up until it reaches Kansas/Iowa, that area.

From LA to Winslow, AZ, it will be dark. If riding in the summer (longer daylight), you'll see the famous Cajon Pass for UP and BNSF.

After Winslow, you'll see the desert view. Best section is at AZ/NM border where you'll see the colorful canyons. You'll ride along the river if it is in wet season.

In ABQ, you can get off the train for about one to two hours (service stop), and look at the Indian jewelry.

I've never been further east of Lamy station, but on the highway, so it'll be mountain riding, hopefully with snow.

Southwest Chief has a pretty good desert view, so I highly recommend you to take a loop ride- Southwest Chief & Crescent and then return on Sunset Limited.

I took my GPS along and the train rides at 90 mph on most of AZ and to ABQ (Albuquerque).

I always love going fast (as such on the 90+ segment of the Chief) under diesel power. Electric is not just the same for me. :D . I would agree that you should expect delays on the chief, but there is quite a bit of padding towards the LA end, I believe.

Thanks everyone. You all are always so helpful to us relatively new train riders. I am planning to take the Sunset back to Los Angeles. I have been on the Sunset a couple of times so this time I wanted to try another route.

And believe it or not, it's not all that expensive. Not cheap but heck I love the train. :D

I'll have a sleeper except between the NO and ATL routes. I'll spend a night in NO going both ways.

Oh, and make sure you have the correct names of trains and their routes: The Southwest Chief travels between Chicago and Los Angeles via Kansas City, Kansas, Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona. It is the City of New Orleans that travels from Chicago to New Orleans via Memphis and Jackson. The Sunset Limited from New Orleans to LA via Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back