The ho-bo question.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boyce

Train Attendant
Does anyone have any stories? I can remember that as a child in the 1940s growing up near a freight train route I would sit by the tracks and watch them go by.I would see people sitting in the cars with the door open and their legs dangeling.

This might qualify as a kind of hobo story, at least it is the best I can do. My sister and I was visiting with some friends older than I in Chattanooga a couple of years ago. The topic of trains came up, as it often does around me, and I casually mentioned the last train out of town left in 1971. The wife/mother of the family popped up and said, "Oh no, that couldn't be". My son Tommy rode the train to California about 1985.

Upon further probing it came out that "Tommy" had hopped a frieght. Of course he and his friends knew nothing about local railroad geography...they spent the first day riding out to factories and such in the Chattanoga area. But they eventully got to Calif. Never thought it relevant to tell their parents HOW they got out to Calif, fo "find themselves" or whatever they were doing.

The parents we were quite embarrased that they had brought the whole thing up.

My sister and I were most amused, esp. at their troubles even successfully getting out of town.

Well the closest I can come is a hobo we picked up at the beginning of the month on the Meteor at Sebring. He was only going to Winter Haven, but he gots some interesting looks, even from me (fortunately I had my shades on so he couldn't tell).

battalion51 said:
Well the closest I can come is a hobo we picked up at the beginning of the month on the Meteor at Sebring. He was only going to Winter Haven, but he gots some interesting looks, even from me (fortunately I had my shades on so he couldn't tell).
I would not see why an Amtrak crew member would allow anyone on without a ticket, no matter how short the distance of travel is? :unsure:

Amfleet said:
battalion51 said:
I would not see why an Amtrak crew member would allow anyone on without a ticket, no matter how short the distance of travel is? :unsure:
I didn't say that the Conductor didn't let him on, I merely said he got some interesting looks.

I saw a hobo jump an FEC freight train once. My dad and I were sitting at the crossing on North Miami Ave. when a guy ran along side the train and jumped up on the first step on one of the cars that carry rock. Another time i was riding New Jersey Transits bergen county line when i say a hobo curled up in the stairs of one of the cars.

Why a hobo would jump a rock train is beyond me. Those are the worst to jump, no place to lie down, or hang out, you're just wedged into a little frame. ;)

battalion51 said:
Amfleet said:
battalion51 said:
I didn't say that the Conductor didn't let him on, I merely said he got some interesting looks.
Yes, but you used the term "picked up". In that case I'm assuming the hobo had a ticket, otherwise how would he be riding the train. If this is the case it means he was just a passenger who didn't take good care of himself.

In the summer of 1983, I was riding the Empire builder from Chicago to Seattle. I saw a hobo riding on one of the piggy-back cars, using the truck trailers as a windbreak. I know I did a doubletake. This occurred as we went over Marias Pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back