Three fantabulous rail items on TV

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

battalion51

Engineer
There are three great programs on your local PBS station and on Fox Movie Channel (Check loacl listings for) American Experience: Streamliners America's Lost Trains, America South by Rail (on PBS), and Silver Streak on Fox Movie Channel. I highly recommend recording all three.

Check local listings. I found that the programs aired at different times on my three PBS channels in my area. Silver Streak is on right now (1018 EDT), but will air again on the 11th, and 12th.

battalion51 said:
There are three great programs on your local PBS station and on Fox Movie Channel (Check loacl listings for) American Experience: Streamliners America's Lost Trains, America South by Rail (on PBS), and Silver Streak on Fox Movie Channel. I highly recommend recording all three.
Thanks for the tip - the Streamliner program was very interesting, more historical than technical but a must-see by all means. Really shows the struggle passenger trains have always experienced, and also the golden era of the 50's. Nice film clips of those old trains too. A sad ending though with the last run of the original Cal Zephyr.

I did a quick check at pbs.org and it looks like it and the American South by Rail will show again this Saturday evening (Sep 6) - check local listings for exact time.

I cought the end of "Streamliners, America's Lost Trains" followed by "America's South by Rail" this afternoon on my local PBS station. I had already seen the streamliners one before, though the south by rail was interesting and I never knew Mobile, AL was packed with so much history and often gets missed by the average tourist.

This morning I also caught about 15 minues of a 30 minute info-merical selling the series of videos and books that went along with "America's South by Rail".

I own "Silver Streak" on video so I can catch that anytime. B)

Specifically to Amfleet's point about Mobile, Ala., having more to offer than usually thought.....I don't know if the show mentioned it or not(it has been awhile since I have seen it) but Mobile ALSO has a Mardi Gras---perhaps even a tad less rowdy than the one in New Orleans. The one in Mobile is also older than the one in New Orleans------the tour guides will be quick to tell you-----just doesn't get nearly as much publicity.

Thanks Battallion for tuning us into these programs I have seen them before and do especially recommend both "Streamliners" and the "America South by Rail" for their informative value.

Bill Haithcoat said:
Specifically to Amfleet's point about Mobile, Ala., having more to offer than usually thought.....I don't know if the show mentioned it or not(it has been awhile since I have seen it) but Mobile ALSO has a Mardi Gras---perhaps even a tad less rowdy than the one in New Orleans. The one in Mobile is also older than the one in New Orleans------the tour guides will be quick to tell you-----just doesn't get nearly as much publicity.
Thanks Battallion for tuning us into these programs I have seen them before and do especially recommend both "Streamliners" and the "America South by Rail" for their informative value.
Yes Bill, it did mention that Mobile, AL was the origion of Mardi Gras. Mobiles Mardi Gras has been known to be less rowdy than the one in New Orleans, but also much more suitable for families and children.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back