Three RIvers vs, Cap Limited

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

capltd29

Lead Service Attendant
This November I am going to Milwaukee, WI, would anyone know any details of the 3rivers, I have ridden the Cap many times but never the Rivers, I would have to board in Philly,

Well the 3R's is a nice ride, especially around horseshoe curve. Overall this route might actually be slightly more scenic than the Cap and the curve is really something to see.

However consider the following. One, if you are only going west bound on Amtrak, then you will reach the curve after dark if you're traveling in November.

Two, there is no diner on this train. So if you are in a sleeper, you won't get regular dining car meals. They offer a meal that is similar to that served in First Class on the Acela Express trains. In coach you may not have any choice except for normal cafe food. They are supposed to offer the better dinners to coach pax, once all of the sleeping car pax have ordered their dinners. However I have heard a few stories of crews that didn't want to be bothered doing this and told coach pax that they couldn't sell those meals.

Philly also has a rather grand station, so if you haven't seen it yet, that might be another reason to opt for the 3R's.

I was just on the Three Rivers at the begining of this week and I can account for what type of meal service is offered. The Acela style meals are gone, First Class passengers now have the option of two entrees for dinner that have come right off a regular, full-service, dining car menu. For instance the turkey medalions and goat cheese stuffed chicken were offered. These items are warmed ahead of time in a convention oven. Mashed potatoes and vegeatables come in small pre-prepared cups that are warmed in the microwaved prior to being serived. The turkey or chicken along with the potatoes and vegetables are all put onto a plastic plate and served to you at your table just like in a really dining car. Salads and a dinner roll are offered and there is one choice for dessert offered. Tables are covered in white linen tables cloths and a vase of flowers is placed next to the window, however the plates, forks, spoons, and knives are all plastic and the napkins are paper. I was a coach traveler and had inquired the lounge attendant about the enhanced meal service for my dinner. He told me to come back around 7:30pm, but when I did I was told that they were out of meals. I don't think that was the case, and like Alan said I feel that the crew just didn't want to have to take the time to serve coach passengers. I ended up eating for the snack bar and the food has greatly improved and you can get some really good entrees nowadays. There are some really excellent sandwhiches, fried chicken and coleslaw (I reccomend eating the fried chicken cold), salads, and many more items to choose from. All in all I don't think I was really missing out by getting to eat the first class meal service.

And to add about the route and train intself. The scenery is a better in my opinion than on the Capitol Limited, however the Three Rivers does not use Superliner equipment. Coaches and food serivce cars are either single-level Horizon and Amfleet equipment and there is one Viewliner sleeper. The comfort level is really no different, but Horizon coaches have very small windows compared to a Superliner. If you can get a sleeper because the windows are a lot larger and there are two sets in each room.

I planning on Taking 41 west and 48 or 29 east because It is difficult to make a connection to a train to richmond ,VA IF 40 is more than 2 hours late.

Taking #41 west will allow you to see most of the Pennsylvanian Dutch country, which is quite scenic, during daylight. Taking #30 east will allow you to see most of the Allegany mountains the route passes through during the daylight morning hours. So if your comming from Richmond I would set up an itinerary like this:

#98 RVR-NYP

#41 NYP-CHI

#30 CHI-WAS

#91 WAS-RVR

I agree with Amfleet’s idea of 41 west and 30 east but I would make the following changes:

Richmond to Philadelphia

#84 Mon-Fri RVR 600a PHL 1023a

#82 Sat RVR 735a PHL 1213p

#88 Sun RVR 835a PHL 113p

These trains originates in Richmond so odds are they will leave on time. Amfleet’s recommended #98 is coming up from Florida and on-time is iffy at best and hours late is not unlikely. Making the change in Philadelphia rather than going all the way to New York and then riding 90 miles back will save hours of travel time over a rather bland section of the NEC.

Bum around Philadelphia for a couple of hours (except for the Sunday schedule). Lots to see.

Philadelphia to Chicago

#41 PHL 225p CHI 745a (next day)

Chicago to Washington

#30 CHI 535p WAS 1224p (next day)

Bum around Washington for a few hours if #30 is on-time

Washington to Richmond

#93 Mon-Thu 550p WAS 805p RVR

#83 Fri 550p WAS 755p RVR

#99 Sat Sun 500p WAS 659p RVR

Once again I recommend a regular Regional train over the Florida trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back