Through Trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

denmarks

Train Travel Enthusiast
I have read that the City of New Orleans and the Empire Builder are through trains. This made me consider the following. I am taking the California Zephyr and the City of New Orleans. Even though I have guaranteed connections that does not mean that I will make connections. It only means that Amtrack will get me to New Orleans at no extra charge.

Now if I had taken the Empire Builder instead, would that have given me an absolutely guaranteed connection with the City of New Orleans since they are the same train?

If that is so then why doesn't Amtrak advertise through trains.

Are there any other through trains?

With the introduction of Gunnthrough trains have ceased. For the most part trains turnover to themselves, although there are still a couple out there. But, the Builder no longer turns over to the City.

battalion51 said:
With the introduction of Gunnthrough trains have ceased. For the most part trains turnover to themselves, although there are still a couple out there. But, the Builder no longer turns over to the City.
I'm sorry but that can't simply be possible. There is no way that any of the west coast trains can turn as themselves. In all cases, except for the Texas Eagle, the train does not arrive into Chicago assuming that it's on time, until after it's counterpart has already left Chicago. In the case of the Eagle, there is only 1 hour to clean and turn that train.

With the lack of equipment, run-throughs with the East Coast/Central trains is a must. Amtrak has no choice. I may be wrong the the Builder turns to the City, but there must be some run-through equipment. Otherwise Amtrak would have no choice but to cancel one long distance run.

Valid point, I was thinking a little more east coast (Meteor to Meteor, Star to Star, Palmetto to Palmetto, LSL to LSL, Cardinal to Cardinal, Three Rivers to Three Rivers). While they might still take equipment and swap coasts, I don't think they necessarily still have the patterns and definition that they once did.

I know that a while back the City of New Orleans turned as the Texas Eagle in Chicago. I'm not sure if that is still the case, however the schedules of both trains certainly allow for it.

Last time I took the California Zephyr, there were signs and timetables for the Empire Builder left across the train, so I'm presuming that equipment was used for the Builder as well.

A "through" set of equipment still wouldn't be an 'absolute' guarantee of going thru in Chicago. If the inbound equipment becomes TOO late, they would likely make up a scratch set as best they could and dispatch the outbound train, still leaving you with a bustitute, flight, or hotel to make the "guaranteed" connection

Here's a garanteed connection question.

I made two separate reservations from Grand Forks to LA then another from there to Houston. Should I call Amtrak, and will they link my two reservations together? My trip is next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back