ticket question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Clíodhna

hey all,

I posted a topic here awhile back asking for some feedback about the train service from NYC to LA. i was planning to take the train from nyc to la and fly back but, thanks in part to the responese i got from this borad, my plans have now chanaged. some friends and i are going to take three weeks off and go across country and back by train. Im an international student here and someone on this borad told me 2 look for tickets for international travelers. amtrack offers a ticket for international travelers that for either 15 or 30 days allows them unlimited travel. unfortunatly 2 of the people im traveling with are american and cant buy this ticket.

I was hoping someone could help us figure out what the best option for us is. should we buy their tickets for the whole trip together or for each stage? The current route we're thinking of taking is from nyc to seattle [sp?] then down to san fran then to la then down and across to new orleans and back to nyc staying one maybe two days in san fran and new orleans. our group is made up entirely of art students who want to draw and photograph the route along the way so any suggestions about the route are welcome. also im not sure when and were we should book tickets if we're planning the trip for may.

luv and bubbles,

clíodhna

Clíodhna,

I'm glad you decided to take three weeks vacation and travel across America by train. To answer your question though, you do not have to be an international travler to purchase a 30-day rail pass.

An American citizen can purchase what is called the North America Rail Pass, which allows one the freedom to travel anywhere in the United States or Canada aboard Amtrak or VIA Rail for 30 days. For info on this pass click here.

International citizens can purchase the USA Rail Pass, which allows one the freedom to travel anywhere in the United States on Amtrak for either 15-days or 30-days. Unlike the North America Rail Pass, the USA Rail Pass can not be used for travel within Canada. Though that does not pose a problem for you as your traveling from New York to Los Angeles. For info on the USA Rail Pass click here.

Hope this is a start. :)

P.S. Amtrak is spelled without the "ck" at the end. B)

Amfleet said:
the USA Rail Pass can not be used for travel within Canada. Though that does not pose a problem for you as your traveling from New York to Los Angeles. For info on the USA Rail Pass click
Actually, if that's true that the USA Rail Pass is not good for Canada, then it does pose a problem. The NorthAmerican Railpass requires at least one trip into Canada.

So now you've got a problem. Either you all must buy the North American Railpass and take a side trip into Canada, or your friends will have to make a quick trip into Canada without you.

I'm not sure however that the USA Rail Pass still isn't good for an Amtrak train in Canada.

Amfleet where did you see the bit about the USA Rail pass not being good for Canada? :unsure:

AlanB said:
Amfleet where did you see the bit about the USA Rail pass not being good for Canada? :unsure:
Here, on the information page, it says "Travel from coast to coast anywhere Amtrak goes in the US". It does not mention anything about travel in Canada. So I'm assuming it is not good for Canadain travel VIA Rail. It may be good for travel on Amtrak trains into Canada, like the International, Maple Leaf, and Adirondack. Should of clarified that in my previous post.

Hey all thanks for the quick replies. There’s no problem with visiting Canada on the trip. My friends and I were looking at the map and thinking of going from Seattle to Vancouver, staying the night there and then coming back 2 Seattle and on to San Francisco. As for the international ticket not being valid in Canada its no problem 2 just buy a separate ticket for that part of the trip.

What I am most concerned with is booking the whole trip. I’m wondering how early I need 2 book and where to book. Is it better going directly 2 Amtrak or going through a travel agent? If so can anyone recommend a good travel agent in Manhattan?

luv and bubbles,

clíodhna

I personally would go straight through Amtrak, only because you don't pay fees, and it's really not hard to do, Travel Agents are best used when booking entire vacations (air/railfare, hotel, car rental, and especially f you don't know the area). But if you do decide to use a travel agent I would recommend Liberty Travel. They did my trip to Colorado a few years back, and we were very happy with the package they put together for us. Here's a list of Liberty's Manhattan locations:

New York 120 Fulton Street 212-349-5610

New York 50 Broad Street 212-363-2320

New York 118 Water Street (corner of Wall St) 212-809-8800

New York 2047-B Broadway (71st St. & Broadway) 646-505-0810

New York 499 7th Ave.(37 St & 7th Ave) 212-465-1055

New York 2280 Broadway (82nd & Broadway/Zabars) 212-580-7100

New York 170 7th Avenue South (Perry & 7th Ave - West Village) 212-675-2704

New York 298 Madison Ave (41st St & Madison) 212-689-5600

New York 201 East 57th Street (57th St & 3rd Ave) 212-702-0111

New York 260 East 72nd Street (72nd St & 2nd Ave) 212-535-1200

New York Two Fifth Avenue (Greenwich Vlg) 8th St & 5th Ave. 212-677-2400

New York 1430 Third Avenue (81st St & 3rd Ave) 212-772-3808

New York 525 3rd Avenue (35th St & 3rd Ave) 212-679-7500

New York 205 3rd Ave (19th St & 3rd Ave - Gramercy Park) 212-529-7680

There website can be found here.

I agree with my friend above, I would just book straight with Amtrak. That's probably easier and faster in the long run, plus as Battalion pointed out, there are no extra fees.

If however you do decide to use a travel agent, let me offer a few words of caution. There are many travel agents who are very good at setting up vacations and plane trips. However the number of travel agents who are well versed in Amtrak travel is very limited. I've personally never used a travel agent for Amtrak, so I can't recomend one.

Battalion seemed to have good results with Liberty, but again I would be very cautious. Be quite certain that your agent understands the trains, where they go, and the connections that are needed. Over the years, I've heard many complaints from people who used a travel agent to book Amtrak.

As for when to book, it's always better to do it as soon as your are sure of your travel dates. This is especially true if you plan to travel during the peak summer months when trains fill up fast. Even with the passes, you still need to reserve seats on the trains that you want to use.

Amtrak offers its own complete packages, booked through Amtrak Vacations, that include rail transportation, hotel accommodations, transfers and tours. Air/Rail travel is also an option available through Amtrak Vacations. And they do not charge a service fee like most travel agents do.

USA Rail Pass is not valid for travel in Canada on VIA Rail trains. It CAN be used to travel on the Adirondack to/from Montreal, PQ or on Amtrak Cascadia Service to/from Vancouver, BC. These two routes are completely operated by Amtrak. USA Rail Pass will not cover travel to/from Toronto, ON as the trains operating to there from New York and Chicago become VIA Rail trains once they cross into Canada.

North America Rail Pass not only requires travel in Canada, it requires travel in Canada on VIA Rail. Travel on Amtrak segments into Canada do not meet that requirement.

railman said:
North America Rail Pass not only requires travel in Canada, it requires travel in Canada on VIA Rail. Travel on Amtrak segments into Canada do not meet that requirement.
That's interesting. I see nothing in Amtrak's description of the pass that specifically states that the Canadian segment must include a trip on VIA. Additionally I know of someone who took just such a trip a little over a year ago, doing a Cascades run into Vancouver to qualify for the Canadian segment. So I'm surprised to hear that the NA Pass must include a ride on VIA.

Can you point me to something on Amtrak's site that specifically says that it must include a ride on VIA? :)

The website is sufficiently vague as to not be of much help with this question. Here is a link to the page at amtrak.com describing the NARP:

Amtrak - North America Rail Pass

This page does make it evident that the pass is a joint offering of Amtrak and VIA Rail, therefore it may be reasonable to draw a conclusion that travel on both railroads is required. Niether does the VIA Rail website.

However, the Amtrak Travel Planner does contain more specific rules and regulations regarding the use of a North America Rail Pass. That is the only published source (beside chatting with an agent) where I can find these specific restrictions of use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back