Toronto Rail Fest My trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pt 5 Toronto-Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto in One day

July 19

This is a link to show pictures from my trip.

http://steve4031.smugmug.com/gallery/19450.../7402357/Medium

I switched hotels today. I had enough Marriott reward points to stay at the Toronto Renaissance sky dome hotel. Since my train to Montreal did not leave until 9:30 a.m., I decided to have breakfast at the sky dome hotel. A quick cab ride got me and my suitcase over there by 7:00 A.M. The front desk clerk checked, and a room was available. Within moments, my suitcase was in the room, which overlooked the tracks leading into the west side of Union Station. On the 8th floor, I could see and here most train movements. By 7:15, I was downstairs in the restaurant eating breakfast. The restaurant has large picture windows overlooking the playing field. It was set up for the CFL game that would be played later in the week while I was riding the Canadian. Excellent, novel environment, good food, and better prices than the Marriott at Eaton center. The service was good too.

After breakfast, I took a thirty minute power nap before heading over to Union Station. The sky dome hotel is about a 10 minute walk. This walk is not bad if you do not mind hauling your luggage down non-working escalators. If you do, you are better off taking a cab. Since I was on a day trip, I had one small bag. And the walk was enhanced by listening to my MP3 player. I entered Union station about 9:10, strolled up to the gate just as the VIA 1 passengers were boarding, and got on the train. The train was VIA #56. It would whisk me to Montreal at speeds up to 90 mph, arriving at 2:15 P.M. I was in car 1, seat 51. A nice feature of VIA 1 is that the ticket agent can reserve window and aisle seats when you buy your ticket. Of course I had a window.

VIA’s LRC trains are superior to Amtrak’s amfleet and horizon cars. These trains have big picture windows that are always clean, comfortable seats, and smooth quiet ride. As the train got under way, the attendant came by serving complimentary drinks. I had some OJ. Later on I had a soda, all on the house. I believe you pay extra for alcohol.

For most of the first two hours, the train skirts Lake Ontario. Passengers on the right side have lake panoramas at their elbow as they sip their drinks, eat, and read or look out the window. On the left side, one is treated to high speed meets with freights, rolling farm land, and scenic villages. On several occasions, the train crosses rivers emptying into Lake Ontario on long, dramatic bridges. Boats line the sides of some rivers as they sit in docks. In summary, a nice train ride.

As lunch was served, the CN dispatcher stuck us behind a freight, and we had slow run into Kingston, Ontario. We were about 25 minutes late from this delay. In VIA 1, passengers have a choice of 2 or three entrees. The food is preceded by a warm towel, and on each trip in VIA 1 I have always found an entrée that I enjoy.

The trip from Kingston to Montreal is pleasing with farms, forests, and small towns creating a changing vista. As the train enters Montreal, passengers on the left are treated to views of Mont Real, the center piece of the city.

Montreal’s Central station reminds me of Penn station in New York somewhat. High level platforms precede an escalator ride up to a large rectangular functional waiting room with a large board displaying updates of train arrivals and departures. With the 25 minute delay, I have a very brief layover before continuing to Ottawa.

Train 35 departs Montreal at 3:05 P.M. and arrives Ottawa at 4:57 P.M. Again, I am in VIA 1 in car 1 seat 23. For a sports fan, I have some good numbers today. Train 56 (Lawrence Taylor) and now seat 23 (You know it, MJ)

The train to Ottawa leaves Montreal on the same tracks as the train from Toronto, diverging shortly after departing Dorval, the stop for the airport. After the switch from the main line, one expects a somewhat leisurely pace on a single track railroad. It is single track, but the pace is not leisurely. I did see a few 90 MPH signs out the window, but I do not know the top speed. The scenery is mostly farmland interrupted by forests. There are a couple of stops in small towns.

The Ottawa train station has a Spartan, modern appearance. It is clean and well maintained. Large windows on all sides let in natural light. It is a pleasant place to wait for a train. The station is not in the town center, so I did not really get to see Ottawa.

Train 49 departs Ottawa at 5:55 P.M., and arrives Toronto 10:03 P.M. I am in car 1 seat 19. This is the same train that brought us in from Montreal. Also, the same onboard service crew. The attendant gives me the “don’t I recognize you?” as I board. He lets me move to a better window seat since seat 19 is inconsiderately located next to the wall between too windows. Note to rail fans: when making reservations on corridor trains between Windsor and Quebec City, look in the VIA timetable at the car diagrams. They provide accurate information as to how seats align with the windows, and reservation agents can place you in a specific seat if you request it.

The Ottawa to Toronto train passes through farms and forests until it gets to Brockville. There, it regains the Toronto-Montreal line. After Kingston, dinner is served as we ride along Lake Ontario. The sun sets a golden glow on the water. This was a fine ending to an awesome day of railroading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back