Total Newby arrival

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm re-posting the introduction part of my first post because I mistakenly included a question so it got merged elsewhere. Apologies for the mistake

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, happy to join this forum. As my screen name suggests I live in AZ and am a novice, both to this forum and Amtrak. In fact the word novice vastly overstates my knowledge level on both this forum, this is my first post - and Amtrak, just booked my first trip. It is a roundtrip from Flagstaff AZ to St. Louis MO. Both ways it involves a change of trains and a layover. Going the layover is Kansas City and returning the layover is Chicago.

This is somewhat of an experimental trip, for me. I've reached a point due to age, mobility, and discomfort that my flying days are over. This trip is to see if trains can give me travelling options. I've made it eclectic in my accomodations. Going, the long 26 hour leg will be in a sleeper car, a Roomette. The short 6 hour leg will be coach. Coming back, the short leg will be in business class, and the long 30 hour leg will be in coach. There were no sleepers available for that 30 hour leg, and I think that might be a blessing in disguise, as I will find out how I will handle a long leg in a seat rather than a bed. It doesn't daunt me because a few years ago I had to sleep in a recliner for medical reasons and it was no problem.

If it works well a whole new world of modestly priced travel opens up to me. I'm excited about that.

Your trip sounds great. With Amtrak the key is to be flexible and roll with the punches so to speak. Chances are your trip will be uneventful but you never know. In any case it will be an adventure. Trains are really the best way to really see a country, not at 35,000 feet nor just trees and rest stops on a freeway but up close.

Trains are really the best way to really see a country, not at 35,000 feet nor just trees and rest stops on a freeway but up close.

This. "Flyover country" is so pejorative. A decade ago I realized to my shame that I knew Europe, and Europe's trains, better than my own country, and I'm busy remedying that.

Welcome, AZNovice. I have a soft spot for the Chief, your "home train," because it was my first multi-day train trip in the U.S. and a spectacular choice. I didn't disembark at Flagstaff but it looks like a charming little and centrally-located station. As is so often the case, Wikipedia's information is better than Amtrak's: Flagstaff station - Wikipedia.

Welcome, AZNovice. I have a soft spot for the Chief, your "home train," because it was my first multi-day train trip in the U.S. and a spectacular choice. I didn't disembark at Flagstaff but it looks like a charming little and centrally-located station. As is so often the case, Wikipedia's information is better than Amtrak's: Flagstaff station - Wikipedia.
Thanks to you and everyone else. And thanks for the Wikipedia tip. I wouldn't have thought of looking there.

Back