Total Novice--w/3 yo PHL-CHI!!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am a complete novice to Amtrak, but am using it to get from Philadelphia to Chicago and back, just me and my 3-year-old. I am nervous about whether she will sleep or not, and what we can do if she won't! Is there a lounge type car open 24hrs where she wouldn't disturb anyone? Are the coach seats at all comfortable? How do I find out if my train has business or first class, and how do I upgrade if so? The sleeper cars would be something like $675 RT, totally out of my price range. Is there vegetarian food available in the dining car? What is the name of this train route, and which type of car can I expect to be in? Is smoking allowed, and if so are there public spaces where it is NOT allowed? When you get up from your seat, do you pretty much have to haul all of your carry-on bags with you or risk having something stolen, or are people generally comfortable leaving all but valuables in the luggage racks while dining, going to the bathroom, etc? Help me, I have so many questions! I want to know everything I can before I get on board!

Could you tell us what train numbers and dates you will be traveling on ? This will help us answer your questions better.

Air5K,

Well if you're leaving from Philly, then most likely you'll be on the Three Rivers. That's the only train that runs directly from Philly to Chicago.

Now to your questions. Technically the lounge car is not open all night, however if your daughter were up and making noise, I suspect that the crew might let you hang out there for a while.

I've personally never traveled long distance in the coach seats, however they are amoungst the most comfortable seats around. Much better than anything you'll find on an airplane.

The 3R's only offers first class sleepers and coach.

There is usually one vegetarian dish on the menu in the diner, but that's it.

Smoking will not be allowed on this train at all. You will have to step off the train at certain stops to smoke. Ask either the car attendant or the conductor where those stops are. Even then never stray more than a few steps from the door, so that you can quickly reboard when they call for boarding.

You may wish to leave a book or something similar on your seat when you leave to make it easier for someone to know that someone is indeed sitting there. However seats are assigned when you board, so that shouldn't really be an issue.

I would not leave your wallet behind and any valuables like cameras should be out of sight in your bag. However luggage left in the overhead rack or the luggage rack at the end of the car should otherwise be safe. Amtrak has had very few incidents over the years, just don't leave money around!

Finally you might wish to check out this hints & tips list from OTOL.

If you have more questions after that, please let us know. :)

I'd recommend taking your daughter on a commuter train or something of the sort if you can before your trip. I was on Caltrain from San Jose to San Francisco a couple of weekends ago and there was a family with two daughters, one about four and the other around two. The older child had no problems on the train, but the two-year-old apparently didn't like the motion of the train because she just screamed and screamed. After a while, it didn't matter if the train was moving or at a station, she just wanted off. Fortunately, the family's stop was only about 25 minutes from San Jose, but it might be more exasperating on a long-distance trip.

Food service on the Three Rivers is performed a bit differently than on other Amtrak long distance trains. Most long distance trains will have a full diner with a complete kitchen, chefs, and wait staff. Plus, there is a full lounge with a snack bar. On the Three Rivers food service is provided in a Dinette, or otherwise thought of as a Diner/Lounge. One half of the car has designated lounge seating where passengers can relax, play games, or read at their own pleasure. The other half of the car is set up as a diner with tables covered in white linens, silverware, flowers, etc. In the middle of the car is a snack bar/food preperation area. One attendant maintains the snack bar for the lounge side which, sells snacks, sandwiches, and drinks, while a second attendant warms food up in a convection oven and acts as a wait staff person for the diner side. Now you can choose to buy your meal at the snack bar or choose sit down diner service. The sit down diner service is new to the Three Rivers so I'm not sure what they have to offer in terms of vegetarian entrees. However, I know the snack bar has a vegetarian burger and usually an all vegetarian salad (meaning no meat, eggs, cheese, etc.). Also, I believe, since the Three Rivers changes onboard service crews in Harrisburg the Lounge is open all night.

Amfleet is quite right, I forgot that the 3R's doesn't have a diner and simply answered your question.

I will be on the 41 going out, the 40 returning. The dining situation doesn't sound all that hopeful--not on the vegetarian front, just in general. Is it advisable to bring a packed meal? Also, to address your concern, my daughter has been on SEPTA in Philadelphia and likes train rides very much. I don't think she'll be scared, just very excited.

The food served on the Three Rivers is nothing special. Your welcome to bring onboard your own food, but I would advise against bringing full meals or anything perishable. For instance you could save money by brining onboard your own drinks (except alcohol) and snacks. Then during meal times you could grab a burger or sandwich in the lounge and bring it back to your seat to eat with the other items you brought along.

air5k said:
I will be on the 41 going out, the 40 returning. The dining situation doesn't sound all that hopeful--not on the vegetarian front, just in general. Is it advisable to bring a packed meal?
Sadly from the vegetarian perspective you're right, especially without a diner. So it would be advisable to bring things for yourself. However, consider that you will not have access to any refrigeration and the cafe attendant is not allowed to heat things for you. Health regulations prevent this.

So whatever you bring should not be perishable or need heating. You must also consume any food that you bring with you at your seat, you will not be allowed to bring it into the cafe car.

I personally would recommend brining some drinks and maybe a salad and fruit in a cooler. There are lots of people who bring their own food on board to keep from having to drop a bundle of money in the lounge car. I would recommend going to the lounge and buying a Cinnamon roll though, those things are amazing! (Insert drool emoticon here)

I highly suggest the plain cheese pizza in the lounge car to fit your vegetarian dietary needs. It has no meat, is tasty and priced right. The coach attendants are usually very friendly on the trains you are riding on. One thing to keep in mind is that trains #40 and #41 haven't been doing all that well timekeeping wise over the past several weeks due to work being done on the tracks by the freight railroads. Be sure to call ahead (1-800-USA-RAIL) to see if your train will be leaving on time so you don't have to sit and wait at the station a long time and also tell anyone picking you up on the other end to do the same. Then again you never know, the work might be done and you'll arrive early each way! Have a great trip!

air5k said:
I will be on the 41 going out, the 40 returning.  The dining situation doesn't sound all that hopeful--not on the vegetarian front, just in general.  Is it advisable to bring a packed meal?  Also, to address your concern, my daughter has been on SEPTA in Philadelphia and likes train rides very much.  I don't think she'll be scared, just very excited.
The only reason I was asking for your trip information earlier was to try to compare the prices for a sleeper on another train. It may be possible to get a lower fare, at least for a bedroom (sleeper) taking train #171 from Philidelphia to Washington DC and make a connection to train #29 (The Capitol Limited) to Chicago. I have seen std. bedrooms go for as low as about $100 extra one way on this train. However the $100 is probably the lowest fare for a sleeper on this train, and may be more expensive now if it's getting close to departure time. It may be worth looking into if you think you would really like a sleeper, since it may or may not be cheeper then the $400+ dollars you were quoted for trains 40/41. It might be worth a try. By the way trains 29/30 do have a full service dining car that may be better suited to your diet needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back