Train 3(14) - 13 hours late

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony

Founder
Honored Member
Well, I'm taking #4 out of LAX tonight... I guess this will be another case of piecing together a consist from what they have sitting around the yard.

From what I heard, they had to set out a couple of engines, which might account for some of the delay. Still, you don't see this train THAT late too often!

(tickets.amtrak.com estimates #3 with 9:15PM arrival into LAX today, instead of 8:15AM)

Steve4031 said:
Wow, that is a serious delay. That train has been ontime every time I rode it, which is about 3 or 4 times.
Is Amtrak telling you anything about your departure this evening?
Well, I'm on the connecting Surfliner into LA right now - I called Amtrak before I left and they said they had found equipment to use for #4, and that the late arrival of #3 would not be a factor. It will certainly be interesting to see the consist on tonight's run!

Well, they sure didn't do too badly piecing together a new consist! I haven't gotten up to the engines yet (employees standing around out there), but I did jot these down.

39026 dorm

32065 sleeper new paint

32118 sleeper

38006 diner

33034 lounge new paint

31532 smoker

Yeah, that's not bad at all.

I was worried that they were going to give you an Amshack on wheels. :lol: :D

AlanB said:
Yeah, that's not bad at all.
I was worried that they were going to give you an Amshack on wheels.   :lol:   :D
Don't give Amtrak any ideas about new station types...the rolling Amshack on wheels that goes from city to city along the line in an attempt to save money on station maintenance :lol: :D

Well, when I saw the muffins in the lounge marked "NOL", I realized this consist was intended for tonight's Sunset. A chat with the conductor confirmed this. So, one has to wonder if the delayed #3 cars will go out on the Sunset instead? If so, we could see a few hours' delay right from the start, as they clean the cars and such.

Oh - did I mention this train (#4) has been incredibly on-time so far? We arrived 20 minutes early into Barstow, and waited until 10:49 before leaving. Maybe this is the first time a consist intended for the Sunset has gotten anywhere on-time! :lol:

Yikes! Now they're saying it will get into LAX at about 12:30AM!

Estimated arrival: 16 hours and 6 minutes late.

As of the last report at 10:34 PM, at Fullerton, CA, it was running 17 hours and 1 minute late.

I heard a rumor that the 17+ hour late #3 was running with no HEP, no lights, no kitchen and had to take on much KFC at Barstow. This is the same train that had to set out 2 engines somewhere in Illionis account problems there and things only got worse including signal problems in CA.

Also heard that the AMTK 116 wound up in that emergency consist so if any fans on the route want to hunt it down be on the lookout as this is an engine that is part of the Starlate pool and rarely leaves the West Coast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back