Train 717 Derails at Sacramento Depot

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tp49

Engineer
Around 0230 heard 717 report to DS57 that his train was collided with. After hearing that I threw on some clothes grabbed the scanner and ran to the depot. From what I heard and saw, at least 1 injury (believed to be a crewman on 717), several cars on the ground I believe at least 4 of the 5 cars on the ground. Looks like UP 3754 hit CDTX 2001 and bumped the train back. Could not tell if any pax injured, train was running late as 717 is usually due in around 2300. #1 track at the depot is blocked until they can get a crane in to rerail the train, don't know how or if this will affect the 0620 departure for Bakersfield.

Now I wonder if in a situation like this what happens to the DS do they take him off his position (they did not in this case as he is still dispatching right now) or allow him to continue? The crew of the freight appeared to be shaken up but uninjured.

On a side note, I saw an UP SD70 parked in San Jose, CA that evidently was involved in an incident with a fruit train as there were oranges lodged into the cab :lol: . I will post a few pictures here in a day or two.

717 is a BFD-OKJ train... it doesn't normally pass through Sacramento, but rather turns west to Oakland at Stockton. Are you sure it wasn't 701 or 703 that derailed at Sac? ;)

jc

it was a combined 715-717 deadhead move from bakersfield to oakland via elvas and the cal-p. Those trains were anulled at Stockton due to the BNSF derailment in Pittsburg.

This is a photograph out of a southbound caltrain of a UP engine sitting in the San Jose freight yard shortly after having a rather odd run-in with an orange train. If you look closely you can see the oranges all over the cab.

1060409782931_P5050091.JPG

Bringing this one back from the depths because I'm too lazt to start another topic...

Last night around 9 PM, in the same spot that the incident this topic occurred at while putting 703 away moving from 1 track to depot 7 the Amtrak hit a UP freight, heard reports of anywhere between 3 and 8 cars from the freight on the ground but since I didn;t hear about it until today, even though I was no more than 3 or 4 blocks away when it happened I did not go and check out the damage.

This is the second time in just 6 months and 4 days since the last one. Maybe it;s time something is done here to prevent these things from happening.

This topic is so old I dont even have the faintest idea where that picture of the oranges on the UP might be, oh well. :lol:

Aren't all the switches and tracks at Sacremento controlled by a dispatcher, or are they all manually lined?

Supposedly controlled by Roseville DS 57 but the switches within the small 2 track yard are hand controlled.

The best way I can see to solve this problem is to either add this to CTC signalling, or install an interlocking.

They're looking into a new track alignment to coincide with a redoing of the depot into a multi-modal facility. The best thing to do would be to eliminate the curve entirely and all of the proposals for that plan include that aspect. I'll try and find the site that has the current and proposed alignments on them for a comparison and for use as a visual aid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back