Train from Chicago to WAS with sleeper?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Any info on train ride from Chicago to Washington, D.C. With sleeping accommodations.

Sarah asks which train you're taking because the 2 choices you have use different styles of train cars.

The Cardinal uses single level Viewliner sleeper cars and the Capitol Limited uses bi-level Superliner sleeper cars.

Viewliner Roomette

Superliner Roomette

Cardinal dining car menu The Cardinal has a diner/lounge/sightseeing car.

Capitol limited dining car menu The Capitol Limited has a Sightseer Lounge Car (SSL) and a separate dining car.

The Capitol limited only takes about 19 hours to go from CHI to WAS (780 miles).

Scenery wise I would choose the Cardinal. The Cardinal it takes a more southerly, less direct and longer (922 miles) route that takes a bit over 24 hours to get from CHI to WAS.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're going to be in a roomette, I find the Viewliner roomettes to be larger and more comfortable than the Superliner roomettes...as long as you're OK with the small in-room toilet. However, the food in the full Superliner Diner on the Capitol Limited will probably be more appetizing than the reheated meals they serve in the Cardinal's cafe car.

Also, the Cardinal roomettes are often much more expensive than the Capitol Limited roomettes.

Sarah asks which train you're taking because the 2 choices you have use different styles of train cars.
Actually, I asked because I was going to link her to my CL trip report with pictures, but you provided much better reasons for asking. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back