Train Spotting

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

National Limited

Service Attendant
I was in Savannah, GA for a meeting this evening. I got out about 8:00 p.m. and decided to run over to see if I could spot the "super train" at the Amtrak station. When I arrived at the station the board showed an estimated arrival of 9:30--one hour late. I waited, and waited, and waited. Finally at 10:15 I saw a train coming. The announcement for the arrival of the Silver Star was made and the passengers assembled on the platform. The train, however, did not progress into the station but rather stayed on the main line running very slow. I thought for a moment that the switch had not been thrown and that the train would have to back up and try it again. Then, because the train was running so slowly I thought that maybe they were expecting the passengers to plod across the tracks and up the enbankment to board the train. I couldn't believe either would be possible. Then I noticed that the equipment was Superliner and I got even more confused. Had they rerouted the Sunset through Savannah?? Maybe the train missed a turn and got lost (LOL). Anyway, finally all the passenger cars passed by and there were several "freight" cars on the back. I was thinking Express but no! It was the Auto Train. I kind of got a little excited and actually said outloud "it's the AutoTrain." I think the people standing near me must have thought I was crazy, but I was just thrilled to get to see it. Anyway, about 15 minutes later the Sliver Star arrived--only 2 hours late.

I know the feeling, National Limited. I was in Jacksonvillle one night several years ago waiting for the Sunset Limited, had no thoughts of auto train on my brain at all, after all it did not stop in Jax. All of a sudden---------here it came----I thought "What the h---' and then it hit me, what it was.

I think it was more thrilling seeing it "out of the blue" than if I had been waiting for it.

That was, so far, my only time to see it. I did not have my camera on my immediate person-----too bad----but fo course there are many photos of it scattered around on people's websites on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back