Trip Report

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sakana

Train Attendant
Greetings,

There really doesn't seem to be a good place to post about our Shosholoza Meyl trip on this board, but thought some might be curious. I'll just post a few words here and hope it's OK. If it's not, moderator please move or delete.

Boarding the train in Jo"burg was somewhat of a melee, but most of the crush was headed for the sitter class cars so it was OK. We found our room from a paper listing posted on a platform wall, we were in a 2-person coupe. There was a good bit of "track dust" on the seats, we went through a box of wipes cleaning the grime off the leatherette. We had our bench seat, a window, and a sink with a table that folded down over it. For 54R pp, the attendant made our beds up with sheets and blankets. I got the top bunk, which was 24" wide, so I guess I can consider myself prepared for an Amtrak Roomette upper bunk, as I believe those are also 24".

We were stopped about an hour and a half outside of Jo'burg and sat for about 3 hours. We ate a cheap but tasty dinner in the dining car, beef stew, and back in our room we enjoyed a bottle of wine we carried onboard. I had a very hot shower with good pressure in our car's shower room before bed. When we woke up, we were clearly very late (more than 4 hours), but we had no where to be so didn't mind. We had the full English b'fast in the dining car, 34R pp (about 3 dollars and 40 cents). Frankly, I was happy we were late because we got some daylight scenery. One annoyance was our car ran out of water overnight, so I couldn't brush my teeth and wash my face in our room.

Our return trip was similar and similarly late. I would take the Shosholoza Meyl again, especially since a ticket was only 30R more than a Greyhound bus ticket. Our round trip cost for two people was about 124USD. I hope we can take the train again while we're in SA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the fine, if brief, report on your Shosholoza Meyl (what language is that?) trip. This forum is exactly the right place for it.

On the website (https://www.shosholozameyl.co.za/html-site/routes-main.html) I see several routes/destinations for trains departing from Johannesburg, but the report doesn't mention where you went.

Did you take any photos aboard the train? Sharing some would be great if the answer is yes, plus I, and others I'm sure, would appreciate some descriptions of the scenery, especially since it sounds like daylight sightseeing is unusual aboard your overnight train.

The trains are really colorful! Was yours pulled by electric or diesel locomotives? Online images show that Shosholoza Meyl uses both.

pictures%5C26870%5CRooiwal%20Flowers.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back