Trip to Gathering via Thruway bus/Capitol Limited/Regional

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today, I set off on my trip to the Gathering via Amtrak. I haven’t been on any eastern long distance trains in a while (the NY gathering was the last), so I’m doing a bit of a loop (bus+Capitol Limited+Regional there, Acela+Lake Shore Limited+bus back). It’s also my first sleeper train and first Amtrak train of the year (though I took the Rocky Mountaineer earlier this year). I’m connecting to the Capitol Limited (and from the Lake Shore Limited) using the Thruway bus to Toledo - had thought about maybe backtracking to Chicago to get the full route (and do the Lake Shore eastbound, which I’ve never done due to the timing), but decided I didn’t want to spend a full workday to do that. Doing a roomette on both overnight trains - think this is the first time I’ve done a roomette eastbound on an Eastern long-distance train…

I took a local bus to the Ann Arbor Amtrak station, and the Thruway bus to Toledo pulled up fairly quickly - in fact, it was 15 or so minutes ahead of schedule. The bus was now operated by Miller Transportation (previously it had been operated by Trinity Transportation), and I was apparently the only passenger boarding in Ann Arbor as the driver actually called my name. We left early, and the bus only had a few people on it - we only added a few passengers at Dearborn and Detroit stations.

We made it to Toledo station around 10:30, with the train a little over an hour away. The station is larger than Ann Arbor’s despite only having the two trains in each direction each day (it also hosts Greyhound, though Ann Arbor’s also hosts Greyhound in recent years). There was a Subway inside, but it was closed (and it is closed during all the train arrivals/departures). I was a bit hungry, so I settled for the vending machine instead. Heard a PA announcement for those of us waiting for train 30 that it was just slightly delayed to about midnight, and for those waiting for train 48/448 that was on time with an estimated arrival of 3:15am. Hope there weren’t anyone here who has to endure that wait - anyone using the bus connection to get to Toledo would, which is why I’ve never taken 48 even when the routing is more direct than 30.

Anyway, at this point I’m just going to pass the time by finishing my snacks, and go to bed right after getting on the train. Figure others going to the Gathering from points west may be on this train - though some will probably do the Pennsylvanian connection in Pittsburgh (did that for NY, but this time I’d rather sleep), and some will do the Lake Shore Limited (which would be the more certain connection from Western LD trains).

The Capitol Limited arrived just a tiny bit late - a couple minutes after midnight. Once they started boarding they called for me by name to direct me to my sleeper. Guessing I must have been the only sleeper passenger on in Toledo - funny that happened after being the only Ann Arbor passenger for the Thruway bus. Got into my room ready to go to sleep, though I had to wait for it to be made up. My SCA did that quickly, and soon after boarding I laid down for bed.

Didn’t sleep particularly well - the train felt quite rough, and it did feel awkward being in the small bed. Feel like train overnights are getting rougher as I get older - 11 years ago I did the Capitol Limited in coach, and now it’s getting tougher in a sleeper. Though maybe it’s due to particularly rough track (and maybe being spoiled by a VIA cabin for 2 last year). I had considered upgrading to a bedroom on this leg when I saw one for only $120 more, but the price spiked before I could get around to calling (which would be necessary to do it without repricing all the connecting legs).

Ultimately got up for good around 8am, somewhere in Pennsylvania. Took a shower and changed before heading to breakfast. This was my first experience dining in for flex breakfast, and first flex meal on a Superliner (I had done a flex dinner and taken a to-go breakfast box on the Lake Shore Limited coming home from the NY Gathering), so I wasn’t completely sure how it worked.

Went into the diner, and was a bit surprised to see a lot of people there - a lot of things I read about flex dining state that people usually eat in their room. Was a bit confused as to why no one was taking orders until I figured out you have to order up front. I then remembered this was doubling as the cafe car, and that was also why there were quite a few people eating in there.

The meal itself ended up being not too bad - I had oatmeal, pancakes and pork sausage, tea, and a blueberry muffin. It was all pre-packaged/reheated, but seemed decent enough - feel like breakfast is probably the least-bad meal for flex dining (and it wasn’t really bad at all). Would still prefer traditional dining, though it’s not nearly as much of an issue as for lunch and dinner. I’ll get to check out the current incarnation of flex dining dinner on my trip home on the Lake Shore…

What I missed more on this train compared to western trains was the Sightseer Lounge. The scenery through PA/WV/MD was great, particularly with the fall colors, though it would have been a much better experience with the Sightseer Lounge. The cafe/diner was OK, though the windows weren’t as big (and you’re only supposed to sit there if eating cafe food). Being in a room I could only see one side from there.

Our train was 10-20 min behind for most of the trip, but by the time we got to DC the padding made us a few minutes early. That was nice, as it gave me time to get lunch. Union Station felt quite big - I’ve been to Chicago Union Station quite a bit, but Washington’s (which I haven’t been to in several years) feels almost like a mall/airport.

Got lunch, and then ended up stopping by the Metropolitan Lounge to wait for a little while and grab a coffee. I hadn’t been there, as previously when going through DC I’d been in coach. It seemed serviceable - similar to the Chicago one, though I figure the one at Moynihan will have it beat (I’ll get to check that out on my way back).

Heard them announcing the Silver Star boarding and was a bit confused - don’t they only announce Acelas usually? I was on a Regional heading out, so that made me curious if they would announce that - asked once I saw a gate assignment on the board, and found out no, they do not. So I made my way to the snaking line at the gate, where it was hard to tell what lead to priority boarding, what lead to general boarding, and what led to the Acela next to us.

Eventually got to the train, and got on board. Found the cars closest to the gate already had at least one person for every seat pair, and ended up getting off the train (faster than waiting for the aisle to clear)and walking up the the front to find a more empty area. They had made an announcement regarding that on the PA, but I didn't think much of it, used to shorter trains where you just have to walk up a car or two.

Soon afetr I found my seat the train was off. Realized that this train (Northeast Regional 148 to Springfield) was very likely the train I connected to from the Capitol Limited on my very first Amtrak LD trip - though then I went all the way to Springfield, and met someone who picked me up from Vermont. Kind of interesting to be repeating (at least in part) my first Amtrak LD trip - I was in coach on the Capitol Limited then, but at least it had a Sightseer lounge and traditional dining. If I was to head back to Vermont I’d probably use the Lake Shore+Ethan Allen connection, or if I wanted to avoid 48‘s dreadful timing see if I could get picked up or take a bus from Montreal.

The actual ride was quite uneventful, as I figured a ride on the NEC would be. Got into Philadelphia just a couple minutes late. Trying to figure out SEPTA is where things got a little confusing. Found the regional rail station and bought a Key Card for the Gathering rides easy enough, but was a little confused figuring out where to scan my Amtrak ticket for the free transfer to Jefferson Station (which my hotel is adjacent to).

Eventually found it, but found that it was far from intuitive to figure out where the next train to Center City was. Asked someone who told me there was a train leaving one minute on track 5, only to get up there and mix up 5 and 6 and get to watch the train depart without me. Went back and asked again and was told to go to Track 1, where I finally got on a train that took me to Jefferson Station, which is just a block or so from the station. Hoping I can figure out how to know which trains are going to 30th St/Center City without knowing all the lines, as I’m going to need it for the next few days…

Back