TV in Roomettes on Viewlinders

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did they pull out all the TV screens in the viewliners ? I heard they were going to. If so have they been replaced or are they.

Going from Orlando to NY in next month and it keeps my daughter occupied.

Thanks,

Becca

BeccaN801 said:
Did they pull out all the TV screens in the viewliners ? I heard they were going to. If so have they been replaced or are they.Going from Orlando to NY in next month and it keeps my daughter occupied.

Thanks,

Becca
At last report, the TV were still in the Viewliners and assuming that no one has stolen the tapes, you should have movies for your trip.

AlanB said:
At last report, the TV were still in the Viewliners and assuming that no one has stolen the tapes, you should have movies for your trip.
Only in some of the Viewliners, Alan. It appears to me they are pulling them out as they go! When all of them tear up, get stolen, etc. they just become "TVless." I haven't seen too many cars where they work properly in a while!

Becca, if you can bring a portable DVD player or something similar, it would be a great investment just in case you get a "TVless" sleeper accomodation! I see a lot of passengers with their DVD players and laptop computers. And in your room you have an electrical outlet, so you'll at least have the power available! Hope you have a good trip!

Amtrak OBS Employee said:
AlanB said:
Only in some of the Viewliners, Alan. It appears to me they are pulling them out as they go! When all of them tear up, get stolen, etc. they just become "TVless." I haven't seen too many cars where they work properly in a while!
Well I was basing my assumption on my last two trips from this summer, reports from a few others, and Miami Joe's last report about 2 months ago, where he indicated that all sleepers coming through Hialeah still had them in. Additionally Joe had stated that the order for removal had been suspended.

Perhaps this has changed?

On our last trip from Louisiana to Los Angeles we took our portable DVD player. They are at Wal Mart from $139 to $189. Most have hook ups for two sets of headphones. WELL worth the money!!! :)

AlanB said:
Additionally Joe had stated that the order for removal had been suspended.
I hadn't heard of that, yet! However, Joe would be the one who would have a more accurate view on the situation. I hope it was suspended, and plans to repair and replace the monitors are in order. The monitors are a selling point to the room itself as well as the other ammenities. I was basing my assumption on what it appears to me as I am out in the field. I catch Viewliners which still have the monitors, (sometimes they work and sometimes they don't) and some which have them removed.

I rode the Crescent last week both ways. While the TV viewers were still in the sleepers, they were not showing anything. I am traveling again this weekend. :lol:

Hi everybody!

As I mentioned earlier, the removal campaign is still shown on the car reports. The 1 car that was stripped has had all the equipment re-installed.

What I don't know is if the videos are being serviced and by whom! :huh:

I've noticed that the cars coming into PM are usually missing the video cartridges, so I can't check the entertainment system in each room. The CD's seem to be in the cars on a regular basis, but I get a car about every 2 weeks that is totally empty. The locks are still on the units, so that says that the systems haven't been abandoned!

The tech job was abolished in Hialeah a few months ago, but they do what they can if the time is available. The shop was torn down, so don't know where the new tapes or CD's are stored or being changed in Hialeah. Maintenance would have to be done NYC. The PA and Att. call runs thru the system, so some maintenance is required.

I agree that the system is a great selling point and should be updated to DVD. That might reduce the mean time between failures.

I would love to see someone ask about the system's status, when they are making reservations. Can't get an answer here.

MJ B)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back