United, American, Delta, and Southwest

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I despise United [...] American and Southwest are ok in my book [...] Delta is the best of the big four in my opinion. [...] I know that is faint praise but it’s the best I can say about any of the big four. Jetblue, IMO, is the best domestic airline in the US.
Regional majors like Jetblue and Alaska seem to get the most praise, followed by Delta, and then American, with United often last among the legacies. In the past I would have put Southwest with American but with today's pitch and no reservations it's not workable. Spirit and Frontier always bring up the rear.

At this point, it seems like really the only difference between those two is that on United you get a reserved seat, along with the opportunity to pay even more for a more comfortable seat.
If you fly a lot that's a big difference. UA's main deficiency is that their inferior E+ product sells at a similar price as AA's MCE and DL's C+.

As someone who has barely flown within the US, I've often seen American be portrayed as the most mediocre of the legacies. Nice to see that they have some positives as well.
I think the biggest problem with American Airlines is that they've become so enormous that they can afford to lose upset and disappointed customers with little or no impact to their bottom line. Little wonder that AA's service standards tend to vary considerably from one flight and airport to the next.

The United curbside check-in at SFO was a real clusterf*, but otherwise, everything was OK and the flights uneventful.
It's the same story inside the airport. I honestly have no idea how coach pax without status check luggage on UA at SFO without missing their flight.

[The] United facility at IAH was one of the most chaotic and disorganized I have seen with random lines snaking about the terminal and no indication of where one was supposed to go.
IAH has always been a bit of a mess. After a while you just get used to it.

I could hardly be counted as a typical air traveler, what with the various high special status that I hold with a few airlines. I am quite sure that I am treated way better than an average passenger when things go pear shaped, which they inevitably do from time to time.
Airline status along with the awareness of pitfalls and corrective options that comes from routine travel can make all the difference. New and infrequent travelers are likely to need the most help when things go wrong but are also the least likely to receive such help in a timely fashion.

Last edited:
Any airline flying the A-320 full series aircraft is going to have major problems. P&W has just invoked a recall on many of its engines installed on that series. Too soon to know but there would appear that we will see some of those aircraft parked without engines.

I take over 30 flights per year, mostly domestic. NYC is my base so I have my choice of carriers, but I choose Delta unless there’s no other option or unless there’s a huge difference in fares.

I find that Delta has the newest, cleanest planes and the friendliest staff of any legacy. I used to be a Continental/United fan but their product and service started to decline about 10 years go, and at the same time Delta’s improved. I’d rank American behind those two, and I avoid Southwest at all costs due to their inane boarding process and lack of business class (when you fly as much for work as I do, you need a comfy seat and enough laptop room).

All that said, I think a lot depends on the specific route and the metal the airline is flying on it, just like how Amtrak routes and rolling stock vary in reliability and comfort. I check the aircraft type before booking anything. I hated MD aircraft the way some people hate Viewliner I roomettes with toilets! 😊

Despite the hundreds of flights I’ve taken, I’ve had relatively few cancellations or major delays. Even though I’m now loyal to Delta, I’ll still choose another airline if Delta only has one or two flights per day to where I’m going. Too risky. I also try to travel in the morning to avoid weather in summer. And I avoid peak holiday travel days like the plague.

For other airlines, I think JetBlue is good, and I recently flew the fairly new JSX, which I loved.
I have also been pleased with Delta, and will be flying them in September. I also can't complain about Alaska, American, and United. But the best flight I've ever taken was Copa's "Dreams Business Class" from Panama City to San Francisco.

Two of my most memorable flights were both on Singapore Airlines.

The first was Newark (EWR) to Singapore (SIN) in Business Class. I could pre-select my meals from a rather large menu, and the food preparation and presentation was excellent. The Buffet Bar that remained open throughout the 18+ hour flight was very impressive in and of itself.

The second was a short flight from Singapore (SIN) to Kolkata (CCU) in First Class - splurging using FF points. For breakfast we were served Eggs and Mutton Chop! Of course there were other choices including Vegetarian (Puri and Sabzi).

Last edited:
Two of my most memorable flights were both on Singapore Airlines.

The first was Newark (EWR) to Singapore (SIN) in Business Class. I could pre-select my meals from a rather large menu, and the food preparation and presentation was excellent. The Buffet Bar that remained open throughout the 18+ hour flight was very impressive in and of itself.

The second was a short flight from Singapore (SIN) to Kolkata (CCU) in First Class - splurging using FF points. For breakfast we were served Eggs and Mutton Chop!
The 3 Best Flights I ever took were FC on Singapore Airlines,Qantas and Canadian Pacific!

Any airline flying the A-320 full series aircraft is going to have major problems. P&W has just invoked a recall on many of its engines installed on that series. Too soon to know but there would appear that we will see some of those aircraft parked without engines.
Only those that opted for P&W engines, no? There are CFM powered 320s, like about 65% of them. For example Indigo which exclusively flies A320s has only part of their fleet, mostly neos affected. Not the rest.

Since I don't regularly peruse the airline forums, I would also be very interested in the perspective of the people on this forum. Since most of my flying is on AA (as a non-rev), I really don't have a good basis of comparison. Back in the regulated era, UAL was my airline of choice, when there was a choice, but the UAL of back then, and today's, are not really the same. I guess you can say that about the other 'legacy' carriers as well...
Sadly no airline is the same since deregulation and the addition of the TSA. Having spent 45 years in the aviation field (passenger/cargo) today's airlines are a major disappointment. It has been a couple of years since I have flown my most recent favorite carrier was Frontier. But sadly they have gone to the non-reclining back breaking seats so they would be off the list. I would probably utilize United or Southwest. And I have always try to get a window in the next to the last row (safest). If I travel (very rarely these days) I will always go Amtrak if possible.

I love EVA too. I’ve travelled on them a bit, enjoyed each experience
What did you like most? Was there anything you did not like? I thought the food was fine, the service was friendly, and the schedule attractive for sleeping. In my view EVA's main weakness is TPE, which I would put below SIN, HKG, HND, NRT, KIX, BKK, & ICN.

Only those that opted for P&W engines, no? There are CFM powered 320s, like about 65% of them. For example Indigo which exclusively flies A320s has only part of their fleet, mostly neos affected. Not the rest.
The new P&W and CFM engines are experiencing durability issues requiring additional maintenance and revisions but P&W is suffering much more serious problems that are further exacerbated by manufacturing constraints. Hopefully they can get things back on track soon.

For those unfamiliar with the current and next generation of narrowbody engines the following video covers some of the basics.

Last edited:
What did you like most? Was there anything you did not like? I thought the food was fine, the service was friendly, and the schedule attractive for sleeping. In my view EVA's main weakness is TPE, which I would put below SIN, HKG, HND, NRT, KIX, BKK, & ICN.
I don't have much more experience in international carriers than I do domestic, so I don't have much to compare to. But I found the economy food to be good, and a nice amount of amenities to be given. The trans-pacific flights were in a 3-3-3 config on the 777, rather than the normal 3-4-3, and the legroom was adequate. They also used the mood lighting which made the atmosphere a bit better IMO. The IFE was a bit inconsistent, however. On one flight it shutdown halfway through (and then started working later), and then on another flight there seemed to be much more choices than on the previous one.

My transfers in TPE have never been negative. I don't think it's the most inviting space, nor a huge amount of options for food (although I didn't look very hard), but it met my needs and it was a quick transfer.

Back