Upgrades to First Class in Florida

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmtrakWPK

Conductor
AU Supporting Member
Honored Member
Stopped by the WPK station this afternoon and found a new one-page flyer there. For $57 you can upgrade Jax-Mia (or points between), and for $44 you can upgrade Sunset Orl-Jax. They're calling it a "dayroom" so I am assuming they don't want you using the beds as beds. There is no indication of beginning and ending dates so I am assuming this is intended to be continuing. I knew that for $50 upgrades were supposedly available Orl-Mia, but the times we tried to do that we were told there wasn't anything available, and I have no way of knowing whether there really wasn't anything available or the attendants just didn't want to dirty up an empty room that would then have to be cleaned prior to the next day's use (or was crew-protect). Ticketed pax can upgrade beforehand or onboard. Florida Railpass pax must upgrade (or make the attempt) onboard. This upgrade does not involve the Palmetto P089-P090. For us, starting any trip from Wpk, it's not as good a deal as it would be if we were traveling the whole Jax-Mia segment, but it's still something to think about, especially P097 Wpk to Mia, where we'd be eating supper. The upgrade covers up to two pax - you only have to pay for the room once.

I think it is really neat that Amtrak has begun on a slow scale to sell sleeping car rooms for day travel.

The "old" railroads used to do it all the time.....get some some revenue out of those rooms.

It also works well on the Crescent for points between ATL and NO, all in daytime.

The one problem I see is that everytime a passenger uses one of the beds, even just to take a nap, the linens have to be stripped and replaced with clean ones before another passenger occupies the room or it enters the yard in Hialeah. Some attendants won't mind doing this, but the old timers may be grumps about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back