Fallout from North Korean missile launch (Jan 2022)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CNN headlining “grounded” to describe a ground stop is a tad click bait-like. Apparently just a couple of planes that were already flying was asked to get down to the ground. FAA claims they just ordered the ground stop and not the grounding.

Last edited:
It was a good thing that the missile launch was detected, of course, but the follow up "advice" to US airports seems to have got mixed up somewhere along the lines...
While the incident seems to have passed without any major impact, except a few red faces in secret locations, just imagine if instead of advice to airports, that advice had gone to US missile silos or nuclear submarines. scary stuff...

A somewhat less shrill article on what happened...

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-...ible-ballistic-missile-japan-says-2022-01-10/
And here is what FAA did and what NORAD did not do and what action US Indo-Pacific Command took.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us...st-coast-flight-departures-monday-2022-01-11/
According to FAA it was a brief ground stop at several West Coast airports, or at least that is what they think they ordered. That of course does not preclude some individual controllers going a bit further than that due to communication lapse.

It was a good thing that the missile launch was detected, of course, but the follow up "advice" to US airports seems to have got mixed up somewhere along the lines...
While the incident seems to have passed without any major impact, except a few red faces in secret locations, just imagine if instead of advice to airports, that advice had gone to US missile silos or nuclear submarines. scary stuff...
The body that could launch Armageddon was not involved in giving any advice at least this time around. I doubt anybody other than a few in FAA, if that, had any red faces.

The body that could launch Armageddon was not involved in giving any advice at least this time around
That's good to hear. In this very interconnected world, a mixed message, a few wires crossed, a short circuit or two, and it seems not too far fetched to imagine bad things happening as a result...

These threats from N. Korea have to be taken seriously. I do not know if a missile was headed for towards my present airport if I would want to launch off that airport. Possible ground burst or having my tail pointe at a possible burst. Rapid following planes taking off have to consider wake turbulence.

The ground stop might have been so all air was not crowded if an emergency launch was at a targeted airport location?

Last edited:
Back