VIA Canadian sleeper questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottom line, you do have to put the bed up to use the toilet in the old standard roomette, what VIA now calls the "cabin for one." You can also go down to the hall to the public restroom, which is at the opposite end of the car near the sections. If the next car is a sleeper, you can also go to the section restroom in the next car -- a shorter walk, but you have to cross through the vestibule, which can be cold and snowy in winter.

If the next car is a sleeper, you can also go to the section restroom in the next car -- a shorter walk, but you have to cross through the vestibule, which can be cold and snowy in winter.
I don't know whether VIA Rail, like Amtrak, requires closed-toe shows, but it's a bad idea to walk between cars without them if you value your toes.

I’m confused about toilet configurations in sleeper cabins for one where the bed covers the in-room toilet at night. It’s not clear to me at all if you just put your bed up temporarily and go. I’ve looked at fuzzy coach diagrams on viarail.ca and I can’t tell if there’s a common toilet in the coach. If not, what d’ya do if you gotta go in the middle of the night?! The only time I ever booked a sleeper trans Canada I booked a bedroom for two and it wasn’t an issue the way that cabin is designed.
Here's a link to one of the videos I made from my trip two weeks ago:

I have another video showing me lowering the bed. I did lift the bed up temporarily a couple of times to go, to wouldn't recommend it unless you can "suck it in" a bit. The notched space between the bed and door is _very_ snug. I lifted the bed (it has some weight to it) and it found a balance point easily enough at about a 45° angle and it worked. But a couple of times I just put in my slippers, dressed and went down the hall.

So to answer your Q, yes you can certainly lift the bed, but it may not be ideal. Now that I think of it...you could open the door and have the curtain zipped closed while you lift it, then close your door back. That would afford you privacy and a bit of maneuvering room to lift/lower the bed.

In my experience roomettes initially required opening the door to raise the bed to use the toilet and thus all had zipper curtains (on the aisle side). Later the cut-away bed style meant no curtains were needed because there was space to stand and raise the bed (it was not difficult to raise or lower). Duplex roomettes as I recall appeared somewhat later and were not common in the east; PRR & NYC did not have them although PRR alone had duplex rooms which were crosswise of the car with a couple of bedrooms at each end and 6 upper & 6 lower duplex rooms (which even could be ensuite except for the 2 end rooms). Santa Fe had 24 duplex roomette cars (later converted to bedroom cars) but mostly there were either 8 or 16 duplex roomettes with other types of rooms or even also 4 sections as on the Canadian (until one section was remade into a shower room). In upper duplex roomettes the bed pulled down as in a roomette, but in the lower ones it pulled out from the space below the adjacent upper room. My sister-in-law in 1962 by day from Pittsburgh to Chicago raised the leatherette "curtain" hiding that bed and laid her baby on the bed while she and her little boy had the sofa-seat.

My sister-in-law in 1962 by day from Pittsburgh to Chicago raised the leatherette "curtain" hiding that bed and laid her baby on the bed while she and her little boy had the sofa-seat.
Late 1962 would have been about the time Mom and Dad took my brother (age 3) and me (age 4 going on 5) from Chicago to Albany, NY to visit my paternal grandparents for Christmas. I vaguely remember our train compartment was a bit like European sleeper trains I traveled in as a college student in the 1970s, with a sofa which converted to a lower berth, plus an upper berth which pulled/folded down. (Not sure if there was another set of upper + lower berth on the other side of the compartment, like the European trains I was on later had.) We would have traveled along the route of what's now the Lake Shore Limited. My main memory of that time was receiving my first Barbie doll as a Christmas present from "Mimere" and "Pipere" that year.

Not sure if there was another set of upper + lower berth on the other side of the compartment, like the European trains I was on later had.)
If there were, that would mean you were in a “Bedroom Suite”…2 Double Bedrooms, with the partition between them opened…

Late 1962 would have been about the time Mom and Dad took my brother (age 3) and me (age 4 going on 5) from Chicago to Albany, NY to visit my paternal grandparents for Christmas. I vaguely remember our train compartment was a bit like European sleeper trains I traveled in as a college student in the 1970s, with a sofa which converted to a lower berth, plus an upper berth which pulled/folded down. (Not sure if there was another set of upper + lower berth on the other side of the compartment, like the European trains I was on later had.) We would have traveled along the route of what's now the Lake Shore Limited. My main memory of that time was receiving my first Barbie doll as a Christmas present from "Mimere" and "Pipere" that year.
Just out of curiosity, do you by chance have any recollection of roughly the time of day/night you left Chicago and/or arrived into Albany?

Back