VIA's Canadian "Stranded" 11 Hours

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NS VIA Fan

Conductor
VIA's Canadian was "stranded" in Hinton, Alberta for nearly 11 hours into early Monday due to track damage. All passengers were being looked after……..including meals provided to passengers waiting in the Jasper Station who hadn't even boarded the train yet!

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...-vancouver.html

I'm sure a few would be inconvenienced but at least all are automatically eligible for a 50% credit on the transportation portion of their ticket according to VIA's "Late Train Credit Policy"……..and a rare opportunity for a daylight run through the Thompson and Fraser River Canyons!

…..including meals provided to passengers waiting in the Jasper Station who hadn't even boarded the train yet!
I remember waiting to board the Canadian in Toronto once when the departure was delayed due to the late arrival of equipment……all passengers (including coach) were provided with a continental breakfast set up in the Panorama (1st Class) Lounge. VIA has also sent passengers across the street to the CPR's Royal York Hotel for a complementary buffet breakfast on delayed departures.

VIA's Canadian was "stranded" in Hinton, Alberta for nearly 11 hours into early Monday due to track damage. All passengers were being looked after……..including meals provided to passengers waiting in the Jasper Station who hadn't even boarded the train yet!

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...-vancouver.html

I'm sure a few would be inconvenienced but at least all are automatically eligible for a 50% credit on the transportation portion of their ticket according to VIA's "Late Train Credit Policy"……..and a rare opportunity for a daylight run through the Thompson and Fraser River Canyons!

I was on the Canadian and we were delayed around 10 hours - although we made up some of the time later. I am not sure the daylight run through the canyons made up for missing Jasper, but regardless, I loved the trip. I am hoping to use my credit this fall.

Won't find this level of service on amtrak or airlines.
Amtrak certainly got a big helping of bad PR on the Portland, OR debacle during the December 2008 snowstorm

that left passenger stranded at Union Station for days.

Not good when the local TV stations showed the plight of the refugeees stuck there bascially on their own and locals feeling

sorry for them brought groceries and fed them because Amtrak wouldn't.

Not good when the a local TV station talked live on the evening news at the station with a national Amtrak spokesman

offering bureacratic double-talk.

Hundreds stuck at the Greyhound and Amtrak stations

Back