Viewliner Standard Bedrooms

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

socalsteve

Train Attendant
I helped my in-laws book a trip from Florida to Philadelphia this summer. They have a standard bedroom. I'm a West Coast guy, so I've never been in a Viewliner. However, it looks from the diagram on the website that the room is a little bigger than the standard in a Superliner. I'm wondering if someone could tell me, is there room for 2 suitcases in there, or should I tell them to bring a small one for the room and check the other?

Also, they're going to Philadelphia. I haven't been to the train station there since I was a kid. Can anyone tell me what the station's like? Are there plenty of taxis there? Rental cars? Shuttle buses to hotels?

Thanks for all your help.

There's a bit more room and a handy cubby hole over the door that would fit most carry-on bags if you can do the contortions to get it up there. I'd still check one, unless you have one carry-on size and one hanging garment bag. Why bother kicking your own bag for 1000 miles.

Don't know Philadelphia but Acela stations seem to be pretty loaded with features, including the Acela club for your folks can hang out in.

get'em hooked

rs

It's only the little space above the door that makes the Viewliner room appear to be larger than the standard Superliner room. But it seems larger.

There are no hotels close to the train station. It's not too bad a walk across the street, and then down some stairs to the SEPTA terminal and the "Market-Frankfort" Line, which can take you a few stops to downtown (in the New Jersey direction) and lots of hotels.

The Viewliner rooms aren't any longer or wider than a superliner room. What they are however is a little taller than a Superliner room. That coupled with the extra row of windows, an upper bed that pushes up flat against the ceiling (unlike the angle on a SL), are what help to create the illusion that the room is larger.

Now with regard to luggage, the rolling suitcase that I normally travel with is 14 inches wide, stands 23 inches tall, and is 7 inches thick. If I had two of those bags, I could just barely fit both of them side by side in the cubbyhole above the hall. The same sized bag can also fit underneath your seats. One bag could be a little wider than mine by maybe an inch or two, the other I’d say could be approximately 5 or 6 inches wider. They could not be much taller or thicker and still fit underneath the seats. There is also room for a shoulder bag next to the larger of the two seats.

Also as mentioned, one does have to be a bit of a contortionist to get your bags into the cubbyhole, especially if your bag is larger than mine. One trick however is to lower the upper bed all the way. Then place your suitcase on it and raise it part way up, there is a mid-point locking position. Then you can slide the suitcase into the cubbyhole from there.

There is a large silver handle on the bottom of the bed that one turns to unlock the bed for movment.

Now with regard to Philly, to my knowledge rental cars are only on call at Philly, there isn't an actual place. Taxis however can be had pretty easily, except maybe if it's raining and rush hour. They can also ride SEPTA's regional rail to Center City. Two stops serve Center City, Suburban and Market East. The ride on SEPTA is free just by showing your Amtrak ticket or ticket stub. Do not take the subway as one must go out of the main station and cross a busy street, while toting luggage.

Center City is just east across the river from Amtrak's 30th Street station and is where most hotels, not to mention most tourist traps, are located.

Now if they are also returning via the train then thier sleeper tickets qualify them as a First Class passengers on Amtrak. As a first class passengers they are entitled to utilize Amtrak's first class lounges in Philly, Club Acela. This lounge is a nice quiet refuge in the often-bustling train station. They have nice plush chairs, conference rooms, computer terminals, newspapers, TV's, free soft drinks, juices, coffee, tea and clean safe bathrooms. They also allow you to board your train before the rest of the masses. In fact they'll put you on an elevator that will take you directly to track level.

In Philly the lounge is on the second floor, but the entrance is kind of hidden down a long hall in the corner of the station. Walk down towards gate 1 and you should see the hall leading to the stairs. It almost looks like you are walking into the baggage claim area. Go up the stairs and ring the bell next to the door. If they don't want to carry their suitcases up the stairs, then find a redcap and he'll take them up in the elevator. Of course a tip would then be in order.

Thanks everyone for your help, particularly the reminder about the Acela lounge. My in-laws' train doesn't leave until about 8 at night, so they'll probably be at the station pretty early. It'll be nice for them to be in the lounge rather than the main station.

And it looks like it'll be best for them to check a bag. Thanks again for everyone's advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back