Washington, D.C. Union Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

National Limited

Service Attendant
I'm curious to know the reason why Union Station in Washington D.C. has both high level and low level platforms. I think I understand correctly that all the through tracks have low level platforms and the stub end tracks have high level platforms. Is there a good reason for this?

Close. Most stub end tracks are high level, I think there's one or two low levels (note this picture of the Captiol in WAS)

Amtrak%20P-42%20Locomotive%2072-WAS.jpg

Most are high level because nearly all trains are inbound NEC trains which must be single level trains to go to just about any station on the corridor (very few can accept bi-level equipment due to height, and have high level platforms to create ease in boarding/detraining since everything that rolls through there is single level) But, Washington can accpet bi-level Superliners, Bombardier coaches, Gallery coaches, etc. So in order to create a larger number tracks available for any type of train the run throughs are all low levels. They could put in high level platforms, but it would make life hard for Mechanical as they inspect trains and perform engine changes. It'd also require K Tower to know what type of equipment each train had so the right platform type could be assigned.

battalion51 said:
Most are high level because nearly all trains are inbound NEC trains which must be single level trains to go to just about any station on the corridor (very few can accept bi-level equipment due to height, and have high level platforms to create ease in boarding/detraining since everything that rolls through there is single level)
Actually MARC operates many bi-level trains on the NEC, and if memory serves they have plenty of low-level platforms along the way.

The upper level/stub end tracks have a mix of high level & low level platforms. MARC tends to use the lowest numbered tracks, while Amtrak uses the mid-range of numbers on the upper level.

Amtrak & VRE share the lower level tracks, the highest numbers, all of which have low level platforms.

battalion51 said:
But, Washington can accpet bi-level Superliners, Bombardier coaches, Gallery coaches, etc. So in order to create a larger number tracks available for any type of train the run throughs are all low levels. They could put in high level platforms, but it would make life hard for Mechanical as they inspect trains and perform engine changes.
I could be wrong here, but I think that I read somewhere that originally the station was built with all low level platforms. Then later it was decided to convert some platforms to high level on the upper level for the corridor service. However there was never any reason to convert the lower level platforms, since any train stopping there had to have traps for the low level stations south of DC.

It's also a good thing that many low level platforms still exist, as one would have a tough time getting on and off of a Superliner positioned at a high level platform. Not to mention that many of VRE's cars also can't handle high level platforms.

battalion51 said:
It'd also require K Tower to know what type of equipment each train had so the right platform type could be assigned.
K Tower still has to know anyhow, since they do have multiple types of equipment arriving and departing. Plus they have to know is it MARC, Amtrak, or VRE so that they end up at the correct platforms for the departing passengers.

Alan, you are correct MARC does operate Kawasaki Bi-Level Coaches, but they differ greatly from a "traditonal" bi-level coach. The Kawasaki coaches are built to have single level doors that are compatible with high level platforms. The cars are also equipped with power traps that all open automatically with the doors (based on what the Conductor asks the train to do). All MARC trains have doors that are compatible with both high and low level platforms (although the Kawasaki coaches are better suited for low level platforms than their Heritage counterparts). As far as train designation goes K Tower can tell who's train it is based on the symbol, AMTrak with numbers 0-299 and 2150-2299, MARC 400 and 800 series, and VRE 700 series (I could be wrong on VRE).

Low level platforms will soon be running short at Union Station as MARC is excepting the rebuilt Gallery Cars from METRA. In fact, Union Station seems to be short on capacity as I've seen several MARC trainsets doubled up on one platform.

Amfleet said:
Low level platforms will soon be running short at Union Station as MARC is excepting the rebuilt Gallery Cars from METRA. In fact, Union Station seems to be short on capacity as I've seen several MARC trainsets doubled up on one platform.
I think that's done not so much because of a platform shortage, but to minimize tying up the interlocking plant with empty inbound trains during rush hour.

So they simply stage as many trains into the station before 4:00 - 4:30 pm as they can.

battalion51 said:
Alan, you are correct MARC does operate Kawasaki Bi-Level Coaches, but they differ greatly from a "traditonal" bi-level coach. The Kawasaki coaches are built to have single level doors that are compatible with high level platforms. The cars are also equipped with power traps that all open automatically with the doors (based on what the Conductor asks the train to do). All MARC trains have doors that are compatible with both high and low level platforms (although the Kawasaki coaches are better suited for low level platforms than their Heritage counterparts). As far as train designation goes K Tower can tell who's train it is based on the symbol, AMTrak with numbers 0-299 and 2150-2299, MARC 400 and 800 series, and VRE 700 series (I could be wrong on VRE).
I wasn't suggesting that MARC's Bi-levels couldn't handle high level platforms. :) I only brought them into the converstation, since you said that there were no bi-levels running on the NEC. :lol:

It's kind of the same thing with K-Tower, I do realize that they can tell from the train # who that train belongs to and therefore what equipment they are running. It was you who stated:

They could put in high level platforms, but it would make life hard for Mechanical as they inspect trains and perform engine changes. It'd also require K Tower to know what type of equipment each train had so the right platform type could be assigned.
So I was merely saying that they still need to know anyhow, since varied equipment arrives at the station every day. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back