Well it's ticket time....

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Breeze

Train Attendant
Well I'm getting my ticket today for the train. I'm still unsure about it, since seeing that picture and that's why I have been delaying getting my tickets. I have been thinking about this all night and I couldn't even sleep really because of it!! :unsure:

Does anyone know the cost of greyhound? lol ;)

I would rather not travel than be stuck on Greyhound instead of Amtrak. And that's coming from someone who loves to travel!

I've accrued hundreds of thousands of frequent flyer miles over the years, am officially fed up with flying, and the train makes a great substitute when I'm not in a time crunch. I can't stand the bus.

Go get your train tickets. You won't be sorry B)

Probably comperable. :lol: And lot less comfortable. Honestly, the odds of something happening on your trip are very slim. Take me for example. I have been on 184 different trains since June of 2001, thats an average over six a month, with 37,102 miles travelled. In that time span I've only ever set off three defect detectors, no defects found on inspection, and the WORST thing to happen to me was a Tri-Rail running out of gas in front of us on a single main. Now if I can do all that travelling, and that's the WORST that's happened, you'll be fine. :lol:

It ran out of gas? Did you guys hit it Battalion? Like I was saying in my other post.. I just don't want that slim chance to happen to me(not that I want it for anyone..of course not!).

Anthony, I wish I wasn't so afraid to travel or else I would be going to Paris on half of my trip and THEN going to see my grandpi B)

Nope, that's the beauty of CTC signal systems (the standard throughout North America today). On all railroads there are what we call blocks. There can only be one train in a block at a time. Throughout most of the country this is achieved with track circuits, which feeds a computer the information. If there is a train in the block another train can only enter the block if there is a good deal of distance between them, but the train entering can only operate at 30 MPH, slow enough that you could stop if the train in front of you stopped you could easily stop. But if there is not enough distance the train will not be allowed to proceed until there is enough distance or the train has exited the block. This is what is most common in North America. Some smaller sections of track use Track Warrant/Form D blocking. This is cheaper, but only one train per block. The Dispatcher will authorize a train to enter a block, another train cannot enter until that train has released the block to the dispatcher.

So to anwer your question, no we did not hit the Tri-Rail. Since he had just entered the block (by about .3 mile) we recieved a stop signal just behind him. When his engine died because of no gas, his Conductor radioed our Engineer, and said they were out of gas. After talking it out, our train got permission to enter the block at a Restricted speed (15 MPH), and couple up to him. Once we coupled up we pushed him down to the next siding past the switch. Train 90 (which was in siding) came out of the siding, we uncoupled, backed up, went in the siding, and passed him. All in all a 1 hour delay.

Anything can happen to anybody anywhere. You don't have to be traveling for a mishap to occur.

A bus ride for that long would be torture. You would be crammed in a small seat, the people around you are less likely to be pleasant and friendly on a bus than on a train. You would only have one rest room on the whole bus, nothing to do, no lounge car, no dining car, no place to walk around.

Just relax. It will be a good experience. Did you order a timetable? That should help you focus on things better and get a better idea of what to expect. And you can follow your stops as you go along the way.

For me, the bus is only enjoyable for about 2 to 3 hours,and that is it.

Taking the long trip by train can be a very pleasant advenrture, get to really see the countryside, bigger better windows than on a bus. What can be wrong about that?

I have almost a million flier miles, and I travel over 1000 miles a month on Amtrak and have only had the one incident where we hit the suicidal individual on the tracks in Hayward, CA. I last rode the Dog in November of 2001, from San Francisco to Sacramento, and had such a bad experience I will never do that again. I should have remembered how bad it was as I used to ride it from my college campus to the city where the nearest airport was located and had several bad experiences before I realzed I could take the train which I did afer that. Also, the clientele on the Dog isn't the most desirable in fact in my city the Greyhound terminal is the #1 address in calls for police service.

Remember, planes crash (while rarely), trains could derail (very remote), cars crash (more often) and busses crash as well. There's always a risk whatever mode you choose but the train has a low risk factor

Breeze, your friends have heard bad publiciity. One thing, it seems to me, is is that the media perceives--correctly as far as it goes--that Amtrak is a national company, thus a train mishap ANYWHERE seems to merit the news.

Back 32 years ago before Amtrak took over, one seldom heard about train mis-haps very far outside the immediate region.

I travel MUCH LESS than Battallion and some others on here PER YEAR, but my years are considerable and my actual mileage for 56 years is 133,859. And I have not been in a wreck yet. Only the two mis-haps when we struck a car(both pre-Amtrak events, 40 years or so ago). And as I explained in an earlier post, they was so subtle I scarcely knew anything had gone wrong.

So enjoy----do it the right way. See America the way it was meant to be enjoyed. At ground level but with out the stuffiness of a bus or the responsibility of driving across the country. Now THAT is scarey!!!!

Thanks you guys. My friends are so used to the planes, that they think they are best ways to travel.. they have no fear of them and happen to be more scared of cars actually!

Awww Bill, I love driving cross country :D . My grandpi used to come get me and we would drive to Boston, when I was like 8 or 9 years old.

Does anyone know if the Southwest Chief and Lake Shore Limited are good trains, like with service and just all together?

That is such a cool crew website battalion! Thanks for sharing it with us. :)

Thanks Battalion, the site was quite helpful, especially the pictures..but that bridge over the Mighty Mississppi, scared me a little, but thanks :lol:

Do you know of a site for Lake Shore Limited, that might have some pictures of things you might see from that train?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back