West Palm to NY

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brian Stirling

I may be driving to FL later this week to drop off a car and will therefore need to arrange for transportation to NY. In the past I have always looked towards the sky and taken a plane but this time I'm thinking about taking the train back. BUT, I've never done this before and no nothing about the cost (AMTRAK website is down right now). If I were to leave from West Palm Beach or Okechobee and took it to NYC what is the cost for this and how long does it take?

As I said -- the AMTRAK website is down right now.

Thanks,

Brian

Amtrak Reservation website is up and running.

There are several trains from West Palm Beach, FL (WPB) to NYC (NYP). Most trains are about 14 hours trip, overnight.

Based on this Friday's trip, average cost is about $94-122 for coach class. Sleeper class is about $463 or more, which it includes free meals.

Train schedules from Florida to NYC is flexible for you to choose.

OK, I was able to get onto the website and it looks like the rate, from Okeechobee to NYC is $94 and if I book the standard bedroom it adds another $239 for a total, if I add the bedroom, of $333.

I might like the bedroom but would like to know how comfortable the basic seats are? Do they recline to the point you can actually sleep? Ire the main cars darkened at night or do they keep the same light level all the time? Are the showers available to everyone or are they limited to those with bedrooms? How much do the meals cost? Are all meals covered when you book a bedroom?

I'd prefer not to pay an additional $239, but if sleep is imposible without a bedroom I guess I'll pony up the axtra $239.

I know, I ask a lot of questions? :D :unsure:

The dates and times are limited and may not match your availability or needs, but the rail sale part of the Amtrak website shows train #90 on sale from Miami (or West Palm Beach in your case) to New York City for just over $40. A good deal if it works out for you.

The regular seats are fairly comfortable, recline quite a ways and have leg rests that fold out kind of like a recliner. They are about as roomy as first class on an airplane. They do dim the lights at night, showers are for sleeping car passengers only. Meals in the dining car are included with a bedroom. Coach passengers can eat in the cafe car ($5-6 a meal) or in the dining car ($10-20). I have always gone coach due to my budgetary constraints, but if you can afford the bedroom by all means get one. $333 is a good price for that distance considering it includes several meals and a bed for the night. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your train travel experience.

Brian, I would suggest you give it a try. You never know if you like the train until you try it. You should book as quickly as possible because space sometimes goes quickly.

Many people find it fascinating to eat real food in the dining car and learn the ways of a sleeping car. The standard bedroom is quite small for two but enough for one. Food is usually good. Meals are included in the sleeper as you have already been told but if you want a snack out of the lounge car you do have to pay for that. .

It is more ok to socialize with other passengers on the train than on other modes of travel (aside from the ship, of course) If you eat in the diner you will very likely be seated wih with strangers and it is ok to talk or not talk, but most people do. The people you eat with in the diner can provide some of your better memories.

Coach seats are quite comfortable, as others have already told you, but if money is not a problem, getting a sleeper if a good idea.

If you decide to take the train try to leave from West Palm Beach if possible. All three Miami to New York trains stop in Palm Beach whereas only the first and last trains of the day stop in Okeechobee. If you want a sleeper only the first two trains of the day offer them. The last train of the day the Palmetto is an all coach train and does not offer full dinning service. The fastest train is the Silver Meteor which leaves West Palm midmorning and arrives in New York approximately 25 hours later. The Silver Star (which is the slowest of the three trains but in most peoples opinion the most convienent time wise) leaves West Palm in the early afternoon and arrives in New York approximately 27 hours later. The last and final train of the day is the Palmetto which leaves West Palm in the late afternoon and arrives in New York approximately 26 hours later.

blueman271 said:
The last train of the day the Palmetto is an all coach train and does not offer full dinning service.
Actually the Palmetto does offer Business Class service, which is a step above coach class. Business Class provides 2 & 1 seating, instead of 2 & 2 seating. The Business Class seats are wider, roomier, and more comfortable than the normal coach seats. Additionally unlike coach, they do provide blankets and pillows in Business Class. Plus free soft drinks and/or coffee is provided. The Business Class seat is a little more expensive than coach, but considerably less than a sleeper.

There are no sleepers on this train however and no dining car. :(

AlanB said:
Actually the Palmetto does offer Business Class service, which is a step above coach class. Business Class provides 2 & 1 seating, instead of 2 & 2 seating. The Business Class seats are wider, roomier, and more comfortable than the normal coach seats. Additionally unlike coach, they do provide blankets and pillows in Business Class. Plus free soft drinks and/or coffee is provided. The Business Class seat is a little more expensive than coach, but considerably less than a sleeper.
Well that's not entirely true Alan. Business Class is simply an upgraded Amfleet II Coach. All nine of the business class cars are Concept 2000 Amfleet II's, with the addition of an electric cooler behind seats 3 & 4. Many times Business Class is so deserted that you can have two seats to yourself (vs 1 in coach where you'd have to share with someone else), but this can go out the window during peak travel periods (Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc.). But the soft drinks, coffee, newspapers, and blankets are still there for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back