what voltage?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

caravanman

Engineer
Hi folks, I am looking forward to my trip from Chicago to the "wild west" and back in about 3 weeks time.. I am English and enjoy a nice cup of tea..will the power sockets in my sleeper car power an electric kettle 1KW to provide the required BOILING water?

I have been away for a fortnight so gather there has been a serious rail accident on the chicago new orleans line..where can I find more info on that? Many thanks once again for past help. Ed. B)

Ed, I have to say that's a first for me, but sure why not. Now, the coffee pots in the sleepers (do Superliners have coffee pots on board?), in the Diner, and in the lounge all dispense hot water. I'm pretty sure if you ask the LSA in one of those cars for a cup of hot water they'd probably give it to you (mention that you're a sleeping car passenger), then you could avoid the need for the kettle. But, if you love your kettle that much, I don't see why not. :D

battalion51 said:
do Superliners have coffee pots on board?
The Superliner coffee pots that I've seen are basically the percolator coffee urns that you see at hotel conferences and the like. They don't have the ability to heat water except to run it through the coffee grounds.

I wasn't sure, since my specialty is in Single level Equipment, and I know that the Viewliners can dispense hot water without having to get coffee as a result.

caravanman said:
The problem is that "hot" water is great for coffee, but you need real BOILING water to brew tea! :p
Trust me, it's hot just as if you were pouring it out of a kettle. Again, I would save yourself the bulk of carrying one onboard and getting hot water from the diner or lounge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back