Wheelchair Accessability

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Cory Crabtree

I use an electric wheelchair, and was planning on traveling Wilmington, DE-Washington, DC soon.

My chair is 28" wide, 35" long....I was just curious whether or not that'll fit on the Regional 131 and 158 trains? I'd rather not have to get out of the chair if possible; in fact, the trip is pretty much impossible if I can't.

I know that's within Amtrak's published limits, but being involved with the airlines, I've seen measurements not wind up to be exactly true.

Figured I'd ask here, you guys seems to know these trains much more personally than someone I could call.

Thanks much!

I checked the Info on wheelchair accessability on Amtrak's website.

It shouldn't be no problem with it. The regional trains that you'll be riding is most likely Viewliners. Others in this forum will tell us. I've been on Superliners, and it is much easier to use than in the airline, much more! Also the bathroom is very roomy.

The biggest factor is the station platform. Since you didn't say which stations you will be using. Usually on the timetable, there'll be symbol on each station whether it is accessability, partial, or not. Also, I recommend to call to let them know ahead of time.

Have a great time and a peace of mind! :D

gswager said:
Also, I recommend to call to let them know ahead of time.
Agreed. If they need to set up some sort of ramp or something, they like to have a few days notice. :)

gswager said:
It shouldn't be no problem with it. The regional trains that you'll be riding is most likely Viewliners.
Not Viewliner equipment, Amfleet equipment. The only Viewliner equipment are the 50 sleepers (and 3 prototypes, including a Diner, which are out of service). No Regional train has Viewliners on it normally. Usually all trains, including Amfleet equiped regionals, have at least one car accessable. The Amfleet cars usually have a wheelchair space next to a single coach seat at the rear of a coach near the door. Many food service cars are also accesable.

Both Wilmington & Washington DC have high level platforms, which should make boarding relatively easy. They also have bridge plates (small metal plates that bridge the gap between platform and train car), right on the platforms.

I would still recommend warning Amtrak, but it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks! Much help.

I've been looking at photos of the Amfleet cars, and if those end doors are what I'm supposed to maneuver through, I can honestly say now that it isn't happening.

Now, I've seen NJTransit cars with a giant door in the side of it for wheelchairs, and that would be excellent, but I don't think I can take that sucker to DC :p

Still sifting through what pics I can find.

Oh, I most certainly will be letting Amtrak know I'm coming well ahead of time.

Just exploring the idea for now.

Cory Crabtree said:
I've been looking at photos of the Amfleet cars, and if those end doors are what I'm supposed to maneuver through, I can honestly say now that it isn't happening.
Now, I've seen NJTransit cars with a giant door in the side of it for wheelchairs, and that would be excellent, but I don't think I can take that sucker to DC :p
Well if that's the case, that you don't think your chair will fit through the door, then I would suggest taking an Acela Express train. The doors on this train, not to mention the aisle and the bathrooms are much wider. Since these trains were built after the ADA laws were passed, they are fully accesable. They even have a special wheel chair station.

I'm not sure about the business class car, but in the first class car, that wheel chair area even has a small table for your use.

Be warned though, the Acela Express is Amtrak's premium service, and therefore it will cost more than the regional service.

Back