Where to find Amtrak Alerts and Notices

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jis

Permanent Way Inspector
Staff member
Administator
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
Check their twitter alerts. You don't need a twitter account to see them.
https://twitter.com/AmtrakAlerts?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author
You don't even need to take the trouble to go to twitter.com. All Alerts are also posted at the Amtrak site at:

https://www.amtrak.com/alert.html#
Note that the Amtrak site provides access to these only for the past 24 hours. For doing deeper research one needs to dig into Twitter.

Also every event is not adequately reported on Amtrak Notices either on its own site or on Twitter, and sometimes it requires access to information from other sources tog et the full picture.

Last edited:
Check their twitter alerts. You don't need a twitter account to see them.
https://twitter.com/AmtrakAlerts?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author
They're also echoed on the website at Service Alerts & Notices | Amtrak, but you have to click on @AmtrakAlerts at the top of the page, and then scroll down to the bottom and click on Load More several times to see everything. It looks like only alerts issued within the past 24 hours are available on the website.

Seems to be up & down. Someone posted on FB it was gone but then later people posted it was up.
Not clear if those who could see them had Twitter / X accounts.

If I go into Amtrak Alerts all I now get are alerts in seemingly random order (definitely not date order). I see alerts ranging from 2018 up to 11th July 2023 but only a fraction of the alerts in that period are showing. As far as I can tell only 2 alerts for 2023 !

I do not have a Twitter/X account.

Twitter/X is undergoing controlled demolition. Vast swathes of the people running the site have left over the last year, the systems they ran or maintained are falling over when they're not actively being destroyed for a political agenda.

You can usually use a Nitter instance to view an account on Twitter without all the nagging to sign up; just replace the "twitter.com" ("x.com"?) part of a URL with, say, "nitter.1d4.us" to get Amtrak Alerts (@AmtrakAlerts) , and I've found that the "tweets & replies" tab to be a bit more reliable over the last week.

I'm seeing current alerts using the nitter urls. (I no longer have an X/Twitter account as of yesterday.)

It seems like the Service alerts for Amtrak have been down for a couple of days, no information showing. Has anyone heard of issues?
Twitter no longer lets people w/o Twitter accounts see posts. Amtrak alerts on it's website are links to their Twitter alerts, ,so you need a Twitter account to see them.

Twitter no longer lets people w/o Twitter accounts see posts. Amtrak alerts on it's website are links to their Twitter alerts, ,so you need a Twitter account to see them.
You mean one needs an X account to see the Xeets? :D There is no Tweeter anymore

This is what happens when one thoughtlessly puts all ones marbles in someone else's service basket without bothering to have a contract with a Service Level Agreement included. The piece de resistance is making your own in house notification service depend on a wobbly external provider presumably still without any service contract. How hard is it to put together a local web notification service? You get what you pay for. The relevant question is how long will it take them to fix their world class notification system 🥴

Last edited:
You mean one needs an X account to see the Xeets? :D There is no Tweeter anymore

This is what happens when one thoughtlessly put all ones marbles in someone else's service basket without bothering to have a contract with a Service Level Agreement included. You get what you pay for. The relevant question is how long will it take them to fix their world class notification system 🥴
Well, you know about the tower in Chicago that changed name a "few" years ago is still called by it's original name. ;)

Well, you know about the tower in Chicago that changed name a "few" years ago is still called by it's original name. ;)
Yes but an internet service is not a tower. Once its DNS registrations change and the old ones disappear, the only way to use it would be using the new URLs no matter what you wish to call it.

Twitter/X is undergoing controlled demolition.
It's like a train wreck but I can't look away. $44 billion was an absurd premium but even the most plausible valuation would mostly be tied to well established branding and mindshare. The very aspects and features now being jettisoned with reckless abandon. :rolleyes:

This is what happens when one thoughtlessly puts all ones marbles in someone else's service basket without bothering to have a contract with a Service Level Agreement included.
It was a short sighted decision from the start but it sounds like Twitter/Ex ignores contracts so I doubt SLA's would matter. 😅

So are you saying that Amtrak is still posting the information as Tweets and that you can see them if you are logged onto Twitter/X, but that Amtrak is not posting them (for whatever reason) on its Service Alerts page?

It seems like it would be better if they would post them directly on the Service Alerts page and forget about Twitter/X.

jb

So are you saying that Amtrak is still posting the information as Tweets and that you can see them if you are logged onto Twitter/X, but that Amtrak is not posting them (for whatever reason) on its Service Alerts page?

It seems like it would be better if they would post them directly on the Service Alerts page and forget about Twitter/X.

jb
Yes, Amtrak is still posting alerts on Twitter/X. Just looked, the most recent was 4 minutes ago as I type this.
I've never been able to easily find alerts on Amtrak's webpage.

jb
Yes. I am seeing them in my X account.

In their infinite wisdom Amtrak's crack team of IT experts set things up so that they depend on the largesse of Musk to provide free access to things managed by his X in order to populate Amtrak's own Alerts page. Brilliant move for which they are paying now. :) You get exactly what you pay for I suppose.

Last edited:
Back