Windows

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Linda

I am going to take a trip on the Empire Builder. As I am handicapped, I will

be using the accessible sleeper. I noticed on the diagram and pictures

of the train, the window seems small. Since I will be confined to this room

the entire trip, I am worried about being in a 'small room with small window' situation. How big is the window, and can I sit back in the seat

and enjoy the view; or do I have to lean forward to see out the window?

I am intriqued about taking a train trip across the U.S., but I want to be able to enjoy the scenery while doing it.

Thanks for you help,

Linda

Linda,

While I've never actually traveled in the handicapped room, I have been in the room. It is one of the larger rooms on the train. It sits on the lower level of the car and runs the width of the entire car. There is a fair amount of space in this room, when it's in its daylight configuration. When the beds go down, the room may seem smaller, as they do take up some space.

There is a window on each side of the car in your room, one of the advantages of this room. You can look out both sides of the train. Only the family room at the other end of the car, also on the lower level, offers this perk.

On the other hand the regular rooms offer two windows side by side, which provides more depth or a better view ahead of the train. The handicapped room only provides a single window on each side, which takes away some of that depth. Also since the room is on the lower level, you can't always see over the trees like you might be able to do on the upper level.

But overall I think that you should enjoy your trip, while sitting back and enjoying the scenery as it goes by. You will have a big long couch to sit upon and can slide from one side of the car to the other depending on where the view seems best.

You say that you will be confined to this room, so I'm guessing that your mobility is limited. However if you can move about without a wheel chair, then I would highly recommend trying to get to the sightseer lounge at least once during your journey. What many elderly and semi-mobility impaired passengers do is to wait for the train to arrive at a station. Then while the train is not in motion, and therefore rocking and bouncing, they'll make their way up the stairs and over to the lounge.

If you are basically confined to the room, I still suspect that you'll enjoy what you can see from your room. Any view out the window of an Amtrak train is far superior to the view out of the window of an airplane. Also if you are confined to your room, then ask your attendant to give you some idea of which side of the train certain landmarks and sights might be on and when to expect them. That way you can be properly positioned on the correct side of your room to view them.

Have a great trip! :)

Thank you for your response and information. As long as I can sit back and enjoy the view comfortably, I will enjoy the trip. Unfortunately, I will not be able to go to the upper level; that is why I was concerned. It will be nice to read and relax, and watch the countryside go buy.

Thanks again,

Linda

I traveled in a Superliner handicapped sleeper on the Southwest Chief. The windows are smaller than a deluxe bedroom, but are big enough to easily enjoy the view. :D

AlanB said:
You will have a big long couch to sit upon and can slide from one side of the car to the other depending on where the view seems best.
That is actually incorrect. The Family Room at the opposite end on the lower-level does have a long sofa that stretches the whole width of the car. However, the Accessible Room has two facing seats (like in the Standard Room) on one side of the room and on the other is a sink, vanity, and toliet. For more reference, you can check out this virtual tour of the room. I still would not expect, however, for the window to small enough to affect your view.

Enjoy your trip. :)

The Accesible room actually looks a lot more comfortable than a Standard room. :lol: On a Viewliner however there is a big couch (and armchair) similar to a deluxe room.

I've been on the EB twice and both times in the family bedroom. I think that it is an advantage to have windows on each side. I don't feel that I missed anything by not being upstairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back